This banana cream pie recipe is the absolute best if you like a smooth, creamy pie that doesn't use boxed pudding as filling. Filled with bananas and topped with fresh homemade whipped cream, this is a masterpiece dessert!
4 ripe bananas, sliced
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
4 egg yolks, beaten
3 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Pastry for 1 pie crust (recipe here)
2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. In a medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened.
2. Reduce heat, cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
3. Separate egg whites; discard. Beat egg yolks slightly.
4. Gradually stir 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return egg mixture to saucepan; bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir an additional 2 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla, butter, and three of the sliced bananas.
6. Use the remaining sliced banana to evenly cover the bottom of the pie crust. Pour filling on top.
7. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool.
8. Prepare the topping by beating the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
9. Place topping onto the banana filling, chill for 1-2 hours before serving.