KFC Coleslaw Recipe
So you wish you could duplicate that wonderful, crunchy, sweet coleslaw recipe you can only get at your local KFC? With this recipe you can. It uses buttermilk, sugar and a hint of Tabasco to give it that distinct flavor.
If you don't have buttermilk on hand there is an easy substitution; add 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar to 1 cup of milk. Let stand for 5 minutes to let the acid mix with the milk before adding to recipe.
1 head cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup carrots, shredded
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup milk
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 drops Tabasco sauce
3 Tablespoons dry minced onions
1. Slice cabbage paper thin, and toss lightly with sugar and shredded carrots.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour milk over all. Cover and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise (not salad dressing), buttermilk, celery seed, Tabasco and minced onion.
4. Mix well with cabbage mixture.
5. Refrigerate again at least an hour before serving.