Emilia is a girl’s name that has been in the top 100 baby names since 2017. Emilia is a traditional name with a long history that manages to feel timeless instead of old fashioned.
Meaning of the name Emilia:
Latin: to strive, to rival, to excel
Origin of the name Emilia:
Emilia is a modern variant of the ancient Roman surname Aemilius which was derived from the Latin term “aemulus”. Emilia is a feminine version of the name Emil.
Symbolism of the name Emilia:
The laurel wreath was a Roman symbol of success and often used to crown victors of war or athletic competitions. The wreaths were made of fragrant bay laurel and came to represent good health and purity as well.
Style of the name Emilia:
Gender of the name Emilia:
Emilia is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Emilia:
i-MEE-lee-ə (English), eh-MEE-lya (Italian, Spanish)
Number of syllables in the name Emilia:
three or four, depending on pronunciation
Emotion evoked from the name Emilia:
Emilia evokes feelings of refinement and success.
Alternative spellings for the name Emilia:
Nicknames for the name Emilia:
Popularity of the name Emilia:
According to the Social Security Administration, the name Emilia has been in the top 1000 names since 1900 and in the top 100 names since 2017.
Related names for the name Emilia:
Great middle names for the name Emilia and their meanings:
- Claire (bright)
- Chloe (green shoot)
- Hazel (the hazel tree)
- Everly (woodland)
- Serenity (tranquility)
- Josephine (he will add)
- Isabelle (God is my oath)
Famous people with the name Emilia:
- Emilia Clarke (British actress)
- Emilia Lanier (English poet)
- Emilia Rotter (Hungarian figure skater)
- Emilia Appelqvist (Swedish soccer player)
- Emilia Fox (British actres)
Emilias in popular culture:
- Emilia (literature, “Othello” by William Shakespeare)
- Emillia (literature, “The Decameron” by Giovanni Boccaccio)
- Emi “Emilia” Yusa (comics, “The Devil Is a Part-Timer!”)
- Emilia (comics, “Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World”)
- Emilia “Emmy” O'Malley (video games, “Delicious”)