For many years, Emily has been one of the most popular baby names in English-speaking countries like the United States, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, Canada and New Zealand. While it’s dropped in popularity a bit in recent years, it remains a top 100 baby name in the United States. The name is associated with many successful people, ranging from movie stars like Emily Blunt to the poet Emily Dickinson.
Meaning of the name Emily:
Latin: Rival, hard worker
Origin of the name Emily:
The baby name Emily is derived from the Latin name “Aemilia.” During the 11th century, the French adopted the name and developed their own version — Émilie — and by the 18th century, it had become one of the most popular names in many English-speaking countries.
Symbolism of the name Emily:
In Ancient Rome, the original form of Emily was associated with people who were hard workers and fierce rivals. Today, the name is still associated with people who are smart and industrious.
Style of the name Emily:
Gender of the name Emily:
Emily is a girl’s name.
Pronunciation of the name Emily:
Number of syllables in the name Emily:
Emotion evoked from the name Emily:
Many people associate the baby name Emily with literary heroes like Emily Dickinson and Emily Bronte. For this reason, the name evokes the image of a woman who is intelligent and successful.
Alternative spellings for the name Emily:
Nicknames for the name Emily:
Popularity of the name Emily:
Not only has Emily been a popular name in the United States for decades, but it was the number one name in the country between 1996 and 2007. According to the Social Security Administration, Emily was the 18th-most popular baby name for females in 2020.
Related names for the name Emily:
Great middle names for Emily and their meanings:
- Elizabeth (God’s oath)
- Faith (confidence and trust)
- Pearl (smooth round bead)
- Rose (flower)
- Abigail (father’s joy)
- Grace (God’s grace)
- Scarlett (red)
- Joy (happiness)
- Anne (gracious, merciful)
- Charlotte (free)
Famous people with the name Emily:
- Emily Blunt (actress)
- Emily Deschanel (actress)
- Emily Strayer (Dixie Chicks singer)
- Emily VanCamp (actress)
- Emily Hughes (figure skater)
- Emily Post (writer)
- Emily Bronte (author)
- Emily Dickinson (poet)
Emilys in popular culture:
- Emily Elizabeth (main character in the “Clifford the Big Red Dog” series)
- Emily Prentiss (character on the TV show “Criminal Minds”)
- Emily the Strange (comic book character)
- Emily Young (character in the “Twilight” book series)
- Emily Gilmore(character on the TV show “Gilmore Girls”)
- Emily Quartermaine (character on the soap opera “General Hospital”)
- Emily Fields (character on the TV show “Pretty Little Liars”)