The baby girl name Amelia is a number five personality in numerology. Amelias are natural adventurers and love new and unexpected experiences. So playing peek-a-boo with your baby Amelia could start her off on a life of adventure. Beware though, with a five personality, they are quite cerebral, have a quick wit, and can be very persuasive, so you might be on an adventure yourself. They like to be in constant motion and will create some action if they feel it is lacking. Being very optimistic is helped by having luck, and their personality attracts friends with great ease.
Meaning of the name Amelia:
Latin: to work, industrious, striving
Old Norse: to trouble
Origin of the name Amelia:
A Latinized form of Amalia, the ancient Old High German female name Amelia means “to work.” It was also the title character in English author Henry Fielding's 18th century novel, Amelia, however it appears the name was already in use in the prior century.
Symbolism of the name Amelia:
A medieval blend of Emilia and Amalia, Amelia means “to work,” but it has also come to mean “industrious,” “defender,” and “striving,” all of which emote strength.
Style of the name Amelia:
Gender of the name Amelia:
Amelia is primarily considered a female name.
Pronunciation of the name Amelia:
Syllables in the name Amelia:
Emotion evoked from the name Amelia:
The name Amelia evokes a feeling of strength and protection.
Alternative spellings for the name Amelia:
Amilya, Amilia, Amellia, Amellya, Amelya, Emelia
Nicknames for the name Amelia:
Amy, Ames, Lia, Mel, Mia, Mellie, Millie
Popularity of the name Amelia:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Amelia was ranked as the sixth most popular girl name in 2020. It has been in the top 20 of baby names since 2013.
Related names for the name Amelia:
Emilia, Adelaide, Adeline
Great middle names for Amelia and their meanings:
- Anne (grace)
- Bree (hill)
- Elizabeth (my God is abundance)
- Grace (charm, goodness, generosity)
- Kay (pure)
- Jade (stone of the colic)
- Leigh (meadow)
Famous people with the name Amelia:
- Amelia Earhart (aviator)
- Amelia Fiona Driver (actress Minnie Driver)
- Amelia Boynton Robinson (American activist)
- Amelia Lily (singer)
- Amelia Vega (model)
Amelia in movies/pop culture:
- Amelia Brand (character in 2014 film Interstellar, played by Anne Hathaway)
- Amelia(neurosurgeon in the popular TV medical dramas “Grey's Anatomy” and “Private Practice”)
- Captain Amelia (character in the 2002 film Treasure Planet)
- Amelia Gabble (an animated English goose in the 1970 film The Aristocats)
- Amelia(main character in the mystery novel series by Elizabeth Peters)