Jade is a modern baby name that has been popular since the early 1990’s. The name comes from the precious stone of the same name. While the name was originally used for both boys and girls, it has become much more popular as a girl’s name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Jade:
Jade is a baby name of English and French origin referring to the precious stone. The word literally means “flank” derived from the Spanish word “ijada”.
Symbolism of the Name Jade:
Jade is called the “Stone of Heaven” and the jewel of the heart. It symbolizes prosperity, nobility, beauty, and protection.
Nicknames for the Name Jade:
As a shorter name, Jade doesn't have a ton of nicknames to choose from. Fortunately for you, though, there are still some choices available! They are:
Style of the Name Jade:
Gender of the Name Jade:
Jade can be a boy's or a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Jade:
JAYD (English), ZHAD (French)
Number of Syllables in the Name Jade:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Jade:
Jade evokes feelings of maturity and beauty.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Jade:
Popularity of the Name Jade:
According to the Social Security Administration, Jade started to become popular in the mid 1970s as a unisex name, but very quickly grew to become much more popular as a feminine name. As a girl’s name, Jade has been in the top 200 names since 1992. It ranks in the top 50 as of 2022, at spot 88. As boy’s name, Jade has never ranked higher than #759. It only appeared once in the 21st century on the top 1,000 list for boys, in 2001.
Related Names for the Name Jade:
Great Middle Names for the Name Jade and Their Meanings:
- Loogan (little hollow)
- Riley (courageous)
- Quinn (descendent of Conn)
- Harper (harp player)
- Ivy (the plant)
- Isla (island)
- Willa (resolute protection)
- Clementine (mild, merciful)
Famous People with the Name Jade:
- Jade Jagger (English jewelry designer & daughter of Mick Jagger)
- Jade MacRae (Australian soul singer)
- Jade Villalon (American singer of Sweetbox)
- Jade Moore (English football player)
- Jade Chynoweth (American actress)
Jades in Popular Culture:
- Jade Nguyen/ Cheshire (television/comics, DC Comics)
- Jade (video games, Mortal Kombat series)
- Mara Jade Skywalker (literature, Star Wars Legends)
- Jade Aldemir (video games, “Dying Light”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Anna-Kharchenko/Shutterstock.com.