From Emerald to Holly to Jade and beyond, each of these girl names that mean green is unique and feminine. Explore the names — complete with meanings — and find the perfect name for your daughter.
RELATED: Baby Names That Mean Green
- HollyHolly is the name of a favorite Christmas plant. Holly and berries are used as Christmas decorations all over the world.
- ChloeChloe has several meanings. According to Greek mythology, Chloe is the alternate name for the goddess of agriculture and fertility. Demeter, a Greek goddess was referred to as Chloe in the spring because of new growth and sprouts.
- JadeJade is the name of a green stone, and also makes a great girls' name. The Jade stone is said to transmit wisdom, justice, clarity, courage, and modesty to anyone that carries it. Alternatives to Jade include Jaiden. Alternative spellings for Jaiden include Jayden.
- Daphne Daphne is the name of a laurel tree or bay tree. Like most trees, the Laurel tree has bright green leaves and bloom in the spring and summer.
- GiadaGiada is the Italian name for Jade and shares the same definition. Many Giadas are nicknamed Jade or G for short.
- BlossomBlossom means “flower-like.” It's a cute girl names for babies born at the end of winter and beginning of spring when everything begins to blossom. It was also the name of a popular 90's sitcom featuring a teenage girl of the same name.
- Fern – Fern is an uncommon, yet familiar, girls' names. Wild and domestic ferns can grow to be huge and are a pretty shade of green. The name became popular after the release of Charlotte's Web where a central character shared the name.
- Esmeralda Esmeralda is a Spanish/Portuguese origin name. In Spanish, the poetic name means Emerald, a green stone. Cute nicknames for Esmeraldas include Esme and Emerald.
- Emerald Emerald is the name of a green gemstone and a popular Persian girls' name. The gemstone, Emerald, is supposed to help strengthen relationships. It's a modern popular name because is starts with Em, which also makes a great nickname.
- Greenlee Greenlee is a cute girls' name that means “green clearing.” The name has Old English origins. Greenlee can also be separated as Green Lee for a unique first and middle name combination.
- Myrtle Myrtle was popular in the 1940s. As an old-fashion name, it is becoming trendy. Myrtle is a planet associated with Venus. It has green leaves and white and pink aromatic flowers.
- Orna Orna is an uncommon girls name. The Irish meaning of this name means “little, pale, green one.”
- MyaMya literally means green. An alternative spelling to Mya is Mia. Another popular variation of the name is Amaya.
- CallaCalla has Greek origins and is the name given to the Calla lily. The Calla lily grows on or near water. It has dark green leafs and stems with beautiful white flowers.
- IvyIvy is the name of the evergreen, climbing plant that can be seen in any region during any season. It is a great girls' name choice for hearty, little girls that won't be stopped. A good first and middle name combination for girls name Ivy is Ivyanne or Ivy Anne.
- Charyl Charyl has German origins. It is the name of a precious green gemstone. The best nickname for girls named Charyl is Char.
- FloraFlora means lush green and is similar to grass. With the “a” ending, it's a perfect girl name option.
- Apple Apple as a first name was made popular by Gwen Paltrow when she chose this for her daughter. Apples can be green in color, which also makes it an applicable choice.
- Nana Nana is a Japanese origin name that means “spring greens.” It's an alternative to the traditional Anna.
- HazelHazel is an uncommon eye color. Those with hazel eyes have sort of blue and sort of brown eyes. The eyes aren't quite green, but definitely as close as you can get without having them.
- EdenEden is the name of the most famous garden in the Bible. The name Eden creates visuals of dark green foliage and lots of flowers.
- FelicityFelicity means full of good fortune. Like, the four-leaf clover, the name Felicity has a green aura.
- Juniper – Juniper is the same name as a dark, evergreen plant. Like Ivy, Juniper is able to survive a variety of weather scenarios. Juniper can be shortened to June. The name is popular in the series Riverdale.
- Meadow – Meadow is the descriptive word for a field of grass. It is also a great girls' name option. The name Meadow became popular in the 1990s when a central character shared the name in The Sopranos.
- Cloris Cloris is a Greek origin girls' name that means pale green. Alternative spellings of Cloris are Chloris and Chlorys.
- OpalOpal is a name often thought of as associated with the color white. However, when an opal is exposed to light, there is often streaks of green that dazzle those looking at it. Opal is an old-fashion name rising in popularity thanks to an old-fashion naming trend.
- Chartreuse Chartreuse is a French name and a specific shade of green. It is an almost clear, green color with tints of yellow. A good nickname option for Chartreuse is Char.
- WillowWillow is often referenced in terms of flowers. Willow is also a shade of green. Willow green is a soft, pale green with hints of blue, gray, and yellow.
- Tawnia Tawnia is an Irish girls' name. It means green field. Tawnia could go by Tawn for short.
- EileenEileen is a Scottish origin girls name with a variety of spelling options. Through its Scottish roots, the name Eileen means “from the green meadow.” Spelling variations of Eileen include Ileen, Aileen, Ilene, and Alene.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/FotoMirta.