Ivy is a classy and charming baby name. For parents looking for an uncomplicated choice, Ivy is the definition of simple and sweet. The name also has an enduring place in popular culture. Ivy Wilson is a central character in The Grapes of Wrath, and Ivy Lexton is the titular protagonist of The Story of Ivy. Keep reading to learn more about this endearing name. Keep reading on to learn more about this classic name.
Meaning and Origin of the name Ivy:
Ivy derives from the Old English īfig (meaning “clinging plant”). In the modern context, ivy refers to the climbing evergreen vine found in forested regions throughout the world. In English, the name Ivy means “Evergreen plant.”
Symbolism of the name Ivy:
Ivy is a luxuriant, evergreen plant. The ancient Greeks associated ivy with longevity and fidelity. Greek newlyweds exchanged ivy wreaths to symbolize faithfulness and devotion to one another. In modern times, ivy symbolizes lifelong learning and collegiate sports (such as teams within the Ivy League).
Nicknames for the name Ivy:
Style of the name Ivy:
Gender of the name Ivy:
Ivy is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ivy:
Number of syllables in the name Ivy:
Emotion evoked from the name Ivy:
The name Ivy evokes feelings of benevolence and beauty.
Alternative spellings for the name Ivy:
Popularity of the name Ivy:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Ivy was the 58th most popular baby girl name in 2020. Ivy has ranked among the top 150 baby names for girls since 2013.
Related names for the name Ivy:
Great middle names for Ivy and their meanings:
- Alice (noble)
- Aurora (dawn)
- Brie (marshland, strength, power)
- Carys (love)
- Destiny (fate)
- Evelyn (desired, water, island)
- Kathleen (pure)
- Meredith (great ruler)
- Rayne (queen, counsel)
- Sophia (wisdom)
Famous people with the name Ivy:
- Ivy Alvarez (poet)
- Ivy May Bolton (nun)
- Ivy Lillian Campany (war veteran)
- Ivy Sylvia Lucille Cooke (educator)
- Ivy Margaret Copeland (artist)
- Ivy Duffy Doherty (writer)
- Ivy Lynn Epstein (actress)
- Ivy Grace Fife (painter)
- Ivy Nightingale Russo (daughter of singer Jeff Russo)
- Ivy Lavinia Weber (politician)
Ivys in popular culture:
- Ivy Aberdeen (titular character of the book Ivy Aberdeen's Letter to the World)
- Ivy Tilsley (character on Coronation Street)
- Ivy Valentine (character on the Soulcalibur video game series)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©iStock.com/Alex_Ishchenko.