When you hear the name Isis, you may not have positive feelings. This title dates back to ancient Egypt originally, where it is a name of a goddess. In America, Isis is not as popular as it once was. It is only on the top 3,400 list.
Meaning of the name Isis:
Origin of the name Isis:
Isis is the Greek spelling of the Egyptian baby name Iset, also known as Ueset. It comes from the ancient Egyptian word “st.” Isis was the goddess of nature and the sky, according to Egyptian mythology. The Greek and Roman people also worshipped her in ancient times.
Symbolism of the name Isis:
The baby name Isis translates to “throne.” This Greek spelling has the same meaning as the two original Egyptian titles, Iset and Ueset. All three of these names come from the Egyptian word “st,” which translates to “throne” in English.
Style of the name Isis:
Gender of the name Isis:
Isis is a classical name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Isis:
Number of syllables in the name Isis:
Emotion evoked from the name Isis:
Isis is an international-sounding and refined baby name. It is upscale and noble.
Alternative spellings for the name Isis:
Nicknames for the name Isis:
Popularity of the name Isis:
Isis was first a top 1,000 baby name in America in 1994 at rank 911. It remained on the top 1,000 list until 2014 when it was number 703. Isis did best in 2005 at rank 522. As of 2021, this baby name is a top 3,400 option at number 3,336.
Related names for the name Isis:
Great middle names for Isis and their meanings:
- Diana (divine, fertile, luminous)
- Ariana (most holy)
- Ruth (compassionate friend, friendship)
- Mercedes (gracious gifts, gracious benefits)
- Athena (goddess of wisdom)
- Caroline (strong, free man)
- Yasmine (jasmine, jasmine flower)
- Corinne (beautiful maiden)
Famous people with the name Isis:
- Isis Valverde (actress
- Isis King (model)
- Isis Mussenden (costume designer)
- Isis Casalduc (Miss Puerto Rico from 2002)
- Isis Finlay (Miss Cuba from 1954)
- Isis Gomes (model)
Isis's in popular culture:
- Isis (superhero from DC Comics)
- Isis (character from “Battlestar Galactic”)
- Isis (character from Bluewater Comics)
- Isis (character from “Stargate”)
- Isis Eaglet (character from “Magical Chronicle Lyrical Nanoha Force”)
- Isis (character from “Downton Abbey”)
- Isis (character from “Bring It On”)
- Isis (the name of a metal band)