Mercedes is the perfect name for parents who want their daughters to begin on the right track. Traditionally associated with Spanish royalty, Mercedes is now the name of one of the world's most recognizable status symbols. As a given name, Mercedes also has a memorable place in popular culture. Mercedes Mondego was the beloved fiancée in The Count of Monte Cristo, and Mercedes Jones is the powerhouse vocalist on television's Glee. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Mercedes:
Spanish: Mercies, wages, reward
Origin of the name Mercedes:
Mercedes originates from a Spanish title for the Virgin Mary known as María de las Mercedes (meaning “Mary of Mercies”). As the plural of the word “mercy,” the name Mercedes uses the original Latin definition (merces) to indicate the gracious gift or reward of redemption bestowed upon the faithful.
Symbolism of the name Mercedes:
Mercedes derives from the phrase María de las Mercedes. This phrase is one of the numerous Roman Catholic titles for the Virgin Mary. The symbol for Our Lady of Mercy is the outspread cloak (or pallium) that represents protection. Mercedes can also refer to the German automotive brand Mercedes-Benz. Named after the daughter company's French distributor in the early 1900s, the symbol for this brand is the three-pointed star.
Style of the name Mercedes:
Gender of the name Mercedes:
Mercedes is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Mercedes:
Number of syllables in the name Mercedes:
Emotion evoked from the name Mercedes:
The name Mercedes evokes feelings of liveliness and luxury.
Alternative spellings for the name Mercedes:
Nicknames for the name Mercedes:
Popularity of the name Mercedes:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Mercedes was the 989th most popular baby name for girls in 2014.
Related names for the name Mercedes:
Great middle names for Mercedes and their meanings:
- Aurora (dawn)
- Bianca (white)
- Eva (life, breath)
- Chanel (canal, water pipe)
- Ciara (dark, black)
- Heloise (healthy)
- Nadia (hope)
- Primavera (spring)
- Seren (star)
- Siobhán (God is gracious)
Famous people with the name Mercedes:
- Mercedes de Acosta (socialite)
- Mercedes Calderón Martínez (volleyball player)
- Mercedes “MJ” Javid (television personality)
- Mércedès Adrienne Ramona Manuela Jellinek (heiress)
- Mercedes Alicia McNab (actress)
- Mercedes Raquel Miller (singer)
- Mercedes María Paz (tennis player)
- Mercedes Isabel Perez (weightlifter)
- Mercedes Noel Sahores (mountaineer)
- Mercedes Yvette Scelba-Shorte (model)
Mercedes in popular culture:
- Mercedes “Mercy” Graves (DC Comics character)
- Mercedes Jones (ensemble character on Glee)
- Mercedes Maria Theresa Immaculata McQueen (character in the British soap opera Hollyoaks)
- Mercédès Herrera Mondego (fiancée of Edmond Dantès in The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas)
- Mercedes Athena “Mercy” Thompson (protagonist of the Mercy Thompson urban fantasy series by Patricia Briggs)