The baby name Meredith is a subtle and sweet option for girls in modern times. It has not always been a name for girls, however, and was once only used for boys and as a surname in Wales. The name is not as popular as other M names for girls as it is currently number 585 in popularity.
Meaning of the name Meredith:
Welsh: lord, great ruler, great chief
Origin of the name Meredith:
The baby name Meredith began as a boys' name in Wales from the classical Welsh names Maredudd and Meredydd. In Wales, the name continues to be used for boys, but it began to migrate to become a girl's name during the 1920s. Some families from Wales even used Meredith as a surname.
Symbolism of the name Meredith:
Meredith comes from the classical names Maredudd and Meredydd. These both either mean “great lord” or even “lord of the sea.” This allows Meredith to have the meaning of “lord” or “ruler” in some form.
Style of the name Meredith:
Gender of the name Meredith:
Meredith was originally intended for boys, but now it is mostly used for daughters.
Pronunciation of the name Meredith:
Number of syllables in the name Meredith:
Emotion evoked from the name Meredith:
Meredith feels sweet and simple. It is a quiet name that does not draw a lot of attention.
Alternative spellings for the name Meredith:
Nicknames for the name Meredith:
Popularity of the name Meredith:
The baby name Meredith is not currently one of the most popular for girls according to the Social Security Index as it is number 585 overall. The name was number 143 in the year 1979, which was the highest rank that it has ever had. Meredith was on the top 200 list from 1971 to 1992, however.
Related names for the name Meredith:
Great middle names for Meredith and their meanings:
- Hazel (hazelnut tree)
- Laurel (laurel plant, bay)
- Rowan (little red-haired one)
- Raine (singing, queen)
- Rose (rose, a flower)
- Paige (helper)
- Nicole (victory of the people)
Famous people with the name Meredith:
- Meredith Vieira (TV journalist)
- Meredith Baxter (actress, “Family Ties”)
- Meredith Monroe (actress, “Dawson's Creek”)
- Meredith McGrath (professional tennis player)
- Meredith Andrews (religious singer)
Merediths in popular culture:
- Meredith Palmer (character from “The Office”)
- Meredith Grey (main character in “Grey's Anatomy”)
- Meredith Blake (character on “Parent Trap”)
- Meredith Davies (character in “Tru Calling”)
- Meredith Vickers (character in “Prometheus”)