Edith is a beautiful and elegant baby name for girls. Reminiscent of Old English royalty, this name has secured relevance in each subsequent era. Edith Gru is a main character in the Despicable Me series, and Edith Shaw Lennox is a character in the classic tale North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Edith:
English: Prosperous in war
Origin of the name Edith:
Edith originates from the Old English name Ēadgyđ. This name combined the terms ēad (meaning “prosperity,” “wealth,” or “great fortune”) and gyđ (meaning “war).
Symbolism of the name Edith:
Edith is an altered version of the Old English name Ēadgyđ. As one of the most prominent Anglo-Saxon names to survive the Norman Conquest of 1066, this name became a staple among British nobility. One of the most famous bearers of the name was the legendary Queen Ēadgȳð (progeny of Edward the Elder). Symbols of Edith include the shield and the sword.
Style of the name Edith:
Gender of the name Edith:
Edith is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Edith:
Number of syllables in the name Edith:
Emotion evoked from the name Edith:
The name Edith evokes feelings of eminence and appeal.
Alternative spellings for the name Edith:
Nicknames for the name Edith:
Popularity of the name Edith:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Edith was the 473rd most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Edith:
Great middle names for Edith and their meanings:
- Ada (noble, happy, adorned)
- Adrienne (person from Hadria)
- Bellamy (beautiful friend)
- Carmen (garden, orchard, song, truth)
- Frieda (peace, calm, joy)
- Gemma (gem, precious stone, jewel)
- Jael (ibex)
- Kezia (cassia, cinnamon, sweet-scented spice)
- London (great river settlement)
- Reign (sovereignty, lordship, rule)
- Skye (sky, cloud)
- Xaviera (the new house, castle, fortification)
- Zephyrine (west wind)
Famous people with the name Edith:
- Edith Jessie Archibald (suffragette)
- Edith Elina Helen Baird (chess composer)
- Edith Louisa Cavell (war nurse)
- Edith Giovanna Gassion (singer)
- Edith Head (costume designer)
- Edith Julia Morley (literary scholar)
- Edith Marion Patch (entomologist)
- Edith Irene Södergran (poet)
- Edith Clara Summerskill (physician)
- Edith Wharton (writer)
Edith in popular culture:
- Edith Crawley (character in Downton Abbey)
- Edith Gru (character in the Despicable Me series)
- Edith Shaw Lennox (character in the classic tale North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell)