Elinor is an illustrious and charming baby name for girls. As the slimmer variation of Eleanor, this elegant version has graced beloved classics for centuries. Elinor Dashwood is the protagonist of Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, and Elinor Carlisle is the main character of Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Elinor:
Greek: Sun ray
Origin of the name Elinor:
Elinor is a variation of the name Eleanor. This name is the Old French spelling of the Occitan or Provençal name Alienòr. The most accepted etymology is that this name derived from the Greek root ēlē (meaning “sun ray” or “shining light”).
Symbolism of the name Elinor:
Elinor is a classic variation of the name Eleanor. The variation Elinor typically appears in English, Danish, and Swedish translations of the name. Most scholars believe that the name originates from the Greek root ēlē (meaning “sun ray”). In Greek mythology, Hēlios was the god and personification of the sun and its rays. Symbols for Hēlios include the chariot and the radiant halo.
Style of the name Elinor:
Gender of the name Elinor:
Elinor is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Elinor:
Number of syllables in the name Elinor:
Emotion evoked from the name Elinor:
The name Elinor evokes feelings of enlightenment and ease.
Alternative spellings for the name Elinor:
Nicknames for the name Elinor:
Popularity of the name Elinor:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Elinor was the 946th most popular baby name for girls in 1953. Elinor was the 832nd most popular baby girl name in 1952 and the 856th most popular baby name for girls in 1951.
Related names for the name Elinor:
Great middle names for Elinor and their meanings:
- Amina (honest, faithful, truthful)
- Bryony (flowering vine)
- Ceridwen (fair, white, holy)
- Dahlia (valley flower)
- Gentry (well-born)
- Ivy (evergreen vine)
- Justine (just, righteous, fair)
- Letitia (joy, happiness)
- Moira (destiny, fate)
- Philippa (friend of horses)
- Sadie (princess)
- Trudie (strength)
Famous people with the name Elinor:
- Elinor Allen (badminton player)
- Elinor Jane Barker (cyclist)
- Elinor Tully “Ellie” Couric (daughter of broadcaster Katie Couric)
- Elinor Donahue (actress)
- Elinor Sutherland Glyn (novelist)
- Elinor “Ellie” Jackson (wife of Stonewall Jackson)
- Elinor Claire “Lin” Ostrom (economist)
- Elinor Powell (war nurse)
- Elinor Regina Patricia Smith (aviator)
- Elinor Morton Wylie (poet)
Elinor in popular culture:
- Elinor Bunny (titular protagonist of the animated series Elinor Wonders Why)
- Elinor Carlisle (character in Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie)
- Elinor Dashwood (main character in Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen)