Ellie is an English name meaning “bright, shining one”. Ellie is the nickname for names beginning with El-, like Ellen, Elizabeth, and Eleanor. This cute alternative to those names has surpassed them in popularity in the last decade as Ellie has been in the top 100 since 2011.
Meaning of the name Ellie:
English: bright, shining one
Origin of the name Ellie:
Ellie is a girl’s baby name of English origin meaning “bright, shining one”. Ellie is a diminutive of names like Eleanor, Ellen, and other names starting with El-.
Symbolism of the name Ellie:
The meaning “bright, shining one” brings to mind symbols like a torch or a fire that brings light into the darkness. This could symbolize helping those that are in need or are in a dark place and just need a hand.
Style of the name Ellie:
Gender of the name Ellie:
Ellie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Ellie:
Number of syllables in the name Ellie:
Emotion evoked from the name Ellie:
Ellie evokes emotions of kindness and charity.
Alternative spellings for the name Ellie:
Elly, Ely, Elie
Nicknames for the name Ellie:
Popularity of the name Ellie:
According to the Social Security Administration, Ellie is a favorite baby name that has been in the top 100 baby names since 2011, as high as #29 in 2020.
Related names for the name Ellie:
Great middle names for the name Ellie and their meanings:
- Annaliese (graceful oath)
- Coralie (coral)
- Clementine (merciful)
- Florence (flourishing, prosperous)
- Ophelia (help)
- Luna (moon)
- Rose (the flower)
Famous people with the name Ellie:
- Ellie Krieger (American celebrity chef and author)
- Ellie Alden (English actress)
- Ellie Haddington (Scottish actress)
- Ellie Victoria Cole (Australian Paralympic swimmer)
- Ellie Lambeti (Greek actress)
Ellies in popular culture:
- Ellie Fredricksen (film, Pixar’s “Up”)
- Ellie (video game, “The Last of Us”)
- Elle Bishop (television, “Heroes”)
- Ellie Creed (literature, Stephen King's “Pet Sematary”)
- Ellie Miller (television, “Broadchurch”)