Luna is a Spanish and Italian baby girl’s name meaning “the moon”. The name has been gaining popularity since 2003, ranking #14 in 2020. Luna has been the name of empresses and even the Roman goddess of the moon.
Meaning of the name Luna:
Italian/Spanish: the moon
Origin of the name Luna:
Luna is a girl’s baby name from Italy and Spain meaning “the moon”. The name is derived from Latin and is the name of Roman goddess of the moon. Luna has been used as a surname in the forms of “de Luna” or “Deluna”.
Symbolism of the name Luna:
The moon has always been a significant symbol of feminine power and the cycles of life. The Moon tarot card symbolizes intuition and emotion.
Style of the name Luna:
Gender of the name Luna:
Luna is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Luna:
Number of syllables in the name Luna:
Emotion evoked from the name Luna:
Luna evokes feelings of empathy and kindness.
Alternative spellings for the name Luna:
Nicknames for the name Luna:
Popularity of the name Luna:
According to the Social Security Administration, Luna was popular in the 1910’s but disappeared until 2003. Luna was the #14 baby girl’s name in 2020.
Related names for the name Luna:
Great middle names for the name Luna and their meanings:
- Juniper (young)
- Emma (universal)
- Olivia (olive tree)
- Wren (small bird)
- Violet (purple)
- Penelope (weaver)
- Poppy (red flower)
- Clover (key)
Famous people with the name Luna:
- Gertrude “Luna” Vachon (American pro wrestler)
- Park “Luna” Sunyoung (Korean pop star)
- Luna Blaise (American actress)
- Luna Pascual Yamaguchi (Japanese-American actress)
- Francisco “Luna” Aguilera Blanco (Spanish football player)
Lunas in popular culture:
- Luna (television/comics, “Sailor Moon”)
- Luna Lovegood (literature/film, Harry Potter series
- Luna Garza (television, “True Blood”)
- Princess Luna (television, “My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic”)
- Luna (video games, “Virtue's Last Reward”)
- Luna Maximoff (comics, Marvel Comics)