Poppy is an English name that comes from the name of a type of red flower. Poppy is a recently popular alternative to other botanical names like Daisy and Rose. Poppy was the #13 name given to girl’s in England in 2020.
Meaning of the name Poppy:
English: a type of red flower
Origin of the name Poppy:
Poppy is a modern British English name that comes from the name of a type of red flower.
Symbolism of the name Poppy:
Poppy flowers are said to symbolize sleep, remembrance, and death. Poppies are sometimes planted at tombstones. The famous WWI battlefield Flanders Field is full of poppy flowers.
Style of the name Poppy:
Gender of the name Poppy:
Poppy is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Poppy:
Number of syllables in the name Poppy:
Emotion evoked from the name Poppy:
Poppy evokes feelings of kindness and compassion.
Alternative spellings for the name Poppy:
Popy, Poppie, Popi
Nicknames for the name Poppy:
Popularity of the name Poppy:
According to the Social Security Administration, Poppy is a modern baby girl’s name that first became popular in 2016. As of 2020, Poppy ranked at #462 and it is trending upward.
Related names for the name Poppy:
Great middle names for the name Poppy and their meanings:
- Willow (willow tree)
- Ember (glowing hot coals, amber)
- Dawn (early morning)
- Heather (the flower)
- Nicole (people of victory)
- Angel (fiery one, messenger, angel)
- Honey (sweet, honey)
- Dove (the bird)
Famous people with the name Poppy:
- Poppy Z. Brite (American novelist)
- Poppy Montgomery (Australian actress)
- Poppy Delevingne (English model and socialite)
- Poppy Deyes (English lifestyle blogger)
- Poppy Miller (English actress)
Poppys in popular culture:
- Poppy (video games, Animal Crossing series)
- Poppy Lifton (television, “Gossip Girl”)
- Poppy Pomfrey (media, Harry Potter series)
- Poppy (film, “Happy-Go-Lucky”)
- Poppy Thornapple (literature, “War of the Flowers” by Tad Williams)