Maria is derived from the Hebrew name Miriam. While the preferred name in many European countries, Maria was less common than the name Mary in English speaking countries until the early 00’s when it finally surpassed it.
Meaning of the name Maria:
Latin: drop of the sea, bitter
Origin of the name Maria:
Maria is a girl’s name of Aramaic Latin origin meaning “drop of the sea” or “bitter”. The name is derived from the Hebrew name Miriam and the Egyptian name Mry, meaning “beloved”.
Symbolism of the name Maria:
Maria as a name means “drop of the sea” and has been associated with the North star by seafarers for centuries.This guiding light symbolizes hope.
Style of the name Maria:
Gender of the name Maria:
Maria is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Maria:
mə-REE-ə, ma-RYE-uh (English), ma-REE-a (Italian, German, Dutch, Greek), mu-RYEE-yə (Russian)
Number of syllables in the name Maria:
Emotion evoked from the name Maria:
Maria evokes feelings of refinement and maturity.
Alternative spellings for the name Maria:
Mariya, Mariah, Marja
Nicknames for the name Maria:
Popularity of the name Maria:
According to the Social Security Administration, Maria is a consistently popular name for girls. Maria has been in the top 200 baby names since 1900 and in the top 100 from 1942 to 2011.
Related names for the name Maria:
Great middle names for the name Maria and their meanings:
- Therese (reap)
- Azalea (flower)
- Cassia (cinnamon)
- Bryony (to sprout)
- Delphine (dolphin)
- Cordelia (heart; daughter of the sea)
- Aurelia (the golden one)
- Ophelia (help)
- Seraphina (ardent)
Famous people with the name Maria:
- Maria Sotskova (Russian figure skater)
- Maria Ewing (opera singer)
- Maria Kirilenko (Russian tennis player)
- Maria Kanellis (American pro wrestler)
- Maria “Mia” Farrow (American actress)
Marias in popular culture:
- Maria von Trappmain (film, “The Sound of Music”)
- Maria Nunez (theater, “West Side Story”)
- Maria Hill ( Marvel comics)
- Maria (video game, “Silent Hill 2”)
- Maria Santos Grey (television, “All My Children”)