Marie is one of the most timeless names for girls. As one of the most well-known variations of Maria, the name Marie exudes pleasant tones and has a prestigious place in popular culture. Marie Calvet is a character on the successful period drama Mad Men, and Marie Stahlbaum is the heroine of The Nutcracker and the Mouse King. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Marie:
Marie has several etymologies due to the name's colorful history. In French, the name originates from the Latin stella maris (meaning “star of the sea”). This Latin meaning results from a medieval translation of the Hebrew mar (meaning “drop”) and ‘yam (meaning “sea”). Other interpretations of the name's Hebrew roots include “rebellious,” “bitter sea,” or “wished-for child”. Prior to the Latin translation, the most commonly accepted origin was the Ancient Egyptian element myr (meaning “beloved”).
In Japanese, Marie has a completely separate etymology that results from different kanji characters used to produce the same sound. Depending on the combination of characters, Japanese meanings of Marie include “truth,” “long distance,” “big river,” “picture,” or “blessing”.
Symbolism of the Name Marie
Marie is an important variation of Maria in various languages. Symbols for Maria include the rosa mystica, the iris, and the lily.
Nicknames for the Name Marie:
Marie is a classic name that's a great choice. There are a lot of nicknames that can pair well with this name, including:
Style of the Name Marie:
Gender of the Name Marie:
Marie is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Marie:
Number of Syllables in the Name Marie:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Marie:
The name Marie evokes feelings of purity and peace.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Marie:
Popularity of the Name Marie:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Marie was the 599th most common baby name for girls in 2022.
Related Names for the Name Marie:
Great Middle Names for Marie and Their Meanings:
- Alana (precious, dear, child)
- Cindy (moon goddess, light)
- Colette (victory of the people)
- Erika (eternal ruler)
- Francesca (Frenchwoman)
- Jacqueline (supplanter)
- Katherine (pure)
- Quinn (counsel)
- Rosario (rosary)
- Yasmine (jasmine flower)
Famous People with the Name Marie:
- Marie Antoinette (French queen)
- Marié Christina Digby (singer)
- Marie Delaney Eldridge (statistician)
- Marie Louise Jensen (writer)
- Marie Kondo (personal organizer)
- Marie Catherine Laveau (Creole priestess)
- Marie Osmond (singer)
- Marie Claire Ross (swimmer)
- Marie Eleonor Serneholt (singer)
- Marie “Madame” Tussaud (sculptor)
Marie in Popular Culture:
- Marie Barone (character on the sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond)
- Marie Bonfamille (kitten in Disney's The Aristocats)
- Marie Callender (restaurant and frozen food franchise)
- Marie Calvet (character on the period drama Mad Men)
- Marie Stahlbaum (heroine of The Nutcracker and the Mouse King)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Kulinenko.G/Shutterstock.com.