Maeve is a traditional Irish name that dates all the way back to the first century. It is based on Irish folklore of a warrior goddess named Queen Maeve. The name still feels powerful and strong for any girl that is given this wonderful Irish baby name.
Meaning of the name Maeve:
Origin of the name Maeve:
The name Maeve came from the legend of Queen Maeve in Irish folklore from the first century as she is a Gaelic goddess. She was a warrior queen whose story is told in “The Cattle Raid of Cooley.” Maeve is the English version of the name Medb or Meadhbh which was the original name for this queen. There are legends that the queen was also the ruler over the fairies.
Symbolism of the name Maeve:
Queen Maeve would have been intoxicating to anyone who saw her if legends were true. She is said to have been taller than the average woman and to be attractive. She also carries a sword to show how much of a warrior she was, making the meaning all come together.
Style of the name Maeve:
The style of the baby name Maeve is traditional to Irish folklore and ancient Irish history.
Gender of the name Maeve:
Females are more likely to use the name Maeve.
Pronunciation of the name Maeve:
Number of syllables in the name Maeve:
There is one syllable in the baby name Maeve.
Emotion evoked from the name Maeve:
The baby name Maeve is a very strong and unique name. It is best fit for a child who will have a unique personality and who will want to express herself in a creative manner.
Alternative spellings for the name Maeve:
Nicknames for the name Maeve:
Popularity of the name Maeve:
The name Maeve has only been on the Social Security Popularity Index since 1997 when it ranked all the way at number 955. The name, only just in 2020, entered the top 200 list for the first time. This new ranking puts in in 173rd place.
Related names for the name Maeve:
Great middle names for Maeve and their meanings:
- Georgina (farmer)
- Aveline (desired, island, water)
- Liana (to twine around)
- Cecilia (blind, sixth)
- Rosalind (beautiful rose)
- Zenobia (life of Zeus)
- Theodora (gift of God)
Famous people with the name Maeve:
- Maeve Brennan (Irish author, “The Visitor”)
- Maeve Dermody (actress, “Beautiful Kate”)
- Maeve Gilmore (English painter)
- Maeve Higgins (comedian)
- Maeve Kinkead (soap opera actress, “The Guiding Light”)
- Maeve Quinian (actress, “Not Easily Broken”)
Maeves in popular culture:
- Maeve (Queen of Connaught, Irish folklore)
- Maeve (character on “Make It or Break It”)
- Maeve Ryan (character on “Ryan's Hope”)
- Maeve Donovan (character on “Criminal Minds”)
- Maeve Millay (character on “Westworld”)
- Maeve Wiley (character on “Sex Education”)