There is something so whimsical about Celtic baby names — particularly Celtic baby names for girls. If you're looking for a romantic and playful name for your daughter, here is a selection of options to get your wheels turning. From Aisling and Saoirse to Keeley and Bridget, here are some beautiful Celtic baby names for girls you'll love!
RELATED: 25 Celtic Baby Names
- GwendolynGwendolyn is a Celtic girl name that comes from Wales. It's derived from the words “gwen” (white, fair, blessed) and “dolen” (ring), so taken together, it means divine or blessed ring.
- Aisling Aisling is a pretty and feminine Celtic girl name. Its meaning is equally beautiful: “dream” or “vision.”
- Fiona Fiona is a Celtic girl name of Gaelic origin. It comes from the word “fionn,” which means “fair.”
- BridgetBridget is a Celtic girl's name with Irish Gaelic origins. Alternative spellings include everything from Briget to Bridgette. All mean “power,” “strength” and “vigor.”
- Saoirse Saoirse is a Celtic girl name that can be pronounced in multiple ways. The most common are “SER-sha” and “SEER-sha.”
- Elsbeth Elsbeth is a rare Celtic girl name. As you might have guessed, it's related to Elizabeth, Esla and Lizbet, but this unique variation is given to less than a dozen girls each year.
- Kiera Kiera is a Celtic girl name that was anglicized from the name Ciara. It means “dark” or “dark-haired” in its original Irish.
- Roisin Roisin is a beautiful Celtic girl name. It dates back to 16th century Ireland and means “little rose.” It's pronounced “RO-sheen.”
- LaineyLainey is a Celtic girl's name with a bright meaning. It literally translates to “shining light.”
- CaitlinCaitlin is a Celtic girl name of Irish origins. It means “pure.” It has numerous alternative spellings, including Kaitlin, Caitlyn, Katelyn and Caetlin.
- Enid Enid is a Celtic girl name with beautiful origins. Its root word is the Welsh “eneit,” meaning “spirit” or “life,” but it also has etymological connections to everything from “soul” to “breath.”
- Leana Leana is a Celtic girl name related to concepts like grace, favor and fortune. Popular variations include Liana and Leanne.
- SabrinaSabrina is a Celtic girl name. Its exact origins are a mystery, but it's generally believed to be derived from the River Severn.
- Aderyn Aderyn is a Celtic girl name that can really take your imagination on a flight. It means “bird,” and it's pronounced “ah-DARE-en.”
- BriannaBrianna is a Celtic girl name with a unique history. It isn't just the female version of Brian. It means “high,” “noble,” “virtuous” and “exalted” in its native Irish.
- Aoife Aoife is a charming Celtic girl name. It's pronounced “EF-uh,” and it's the Irish version of the name Eva. It means “beauty.”
- Keeley Keeley is a Celtic girl name with a simple origin. It's Gaelic, and it just means “beautiful.”
- RhiannonRhiannon is a strong Celtic girl name. It means “divine queen,” and while it might be a big name for a small baby, it's definitely something that she can grow into.
- Davina Davina is a Celtic girl name. It has roots in Hebrew countries as well, but it's traditionally considered the male version of David among the Scots.
- ErinErin is a Celtic girl's name. It literally means “child of Ireland,” and it's derived from a myth about the goddess Eriu giving her name, Eire, to the country.
- BonnieBonnie is a fun and lively Celtic girl's name. Hailing from Scotland, it means “good,” “beautiful” or “charming,” and it's frequently heard in old folk songs as shorthand for a pretty girl.
- Doireann Doireann is an unusual Celtic girl name. It's pronounced “DIR-inn,” and it's often considered the Irish version of Dolly or Dorothy.
- MaeveMaeve is a Celtic girl name with disputed origins. It's thought to come from the Gaelic word “Medb” meaning “intoxicating,” but it could also come from the female warrior queen Meadhbh.
- DeidreDeidre is a Celtic girl name from Irish mythology. She was a tragic heroine, but she was also very lovely, fair and famous.
- Gwyneth Gwyneth is a Celtic baby girl name that comes from Wales. It means “happiness,” so it's a very pure, wholesome name to bestow on a daughter.
- Emblyn Emblyn is a Celtic girl name. It's the Cornish version of the German name Emmeline.
- Moira Moira is a meaningful Celtic girl name. It means “fate” or “destiny,” so it's perfect for a baby girl with a promising future.
Having a little boy? Here are 25 Celtic baby names for boys!