Bridget is a sweet and spirited baby girl name. As one of the most successful Celtic female names, Bridget has an enduring legacy in popular culture. Bridget Jones is titular character of Bridget Jones's Diary, and Bridget “Bee” Vreeland is a protagonist in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name Bridget:
Gaelic: Power, strength, vigor, virtue
Irish: Exalted one
Origin of the name Bridget:
Bridget has two possible origins. In most Gaelic languages, Bridget derives from the Celtic noun brÍgh. The word meant “power,” “strength,” “vigor,” or “virtue.” In the Irish language specifically, Bridget derives from the early Celtic goddess BrÍghid. Her name means “exalted one.” In addition to Brighid, common variants for the name include Bridgette and Brigitta.
Symbolism of the name Bridget:
Bridget has three major representations in world history: BrÍghid the goddess, St. Bridget of Kildare, and St. Brigitta of Sweden. The goddess Brighid was the daughter of Dagda (chief diety) and the wife of Bres (god of agriculture). She was the goddess of health, poetry, and childbirth. Brighid was also a patron of warfare (Briga), and this word is an ancestor of the modern English term “brigands.” Her symbols include the triskele (three-legged cross) and the hearth.
St. Bridget of Kildare is one of the three major patron saints of Ireland. Her feast day is February 1 (originally the Imbolc festival honoring BrÍghid and the advent of spring). The symbol for this feast day is the woven St. Brigid's cross, and it is also a common housewarming gift for newlyweds starting a family.
St. Birgitta of Sweden is a historically renowned mystic, nun, and founder of the Order of Brigittines. Her symbol is the Birgitta cross (a white-linen crown and five ruby-red spots that represent Christ's crown of thorns and his five wounds).
Style of the name Bridget:
Gender of the name Bridget:
Bridget is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the name Bridget:
Number of syllables in the name Bridget:
Emotion evoked from the name Bridget:
The name Bridget evokes feelings of strength and vibrancy.
Alternative spellings for the name Bridget:
Nicknames for the name Bridget:
Popularity of the name Bridget:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Bridget was the 747th most popular baby name for girls in 2020.
Related names for the name Bridget:
Great middle names for Bridget and their meanings:
- Aisling (dream, vision)
- Amelia (industrious)
- Corinna (maiden)
- Genevieve (tribal woman, kin)
- Kathleen (pure)
- Maeve (she who intoxicates)
- Niamh (radiance)
- Rhiannon (great queen, goddess)
- Sorcha (brightness)
- Zephyrine (west wind)
Famous people with the name Bridget:
- Bridget Ann Brink (diplomat)
- Bridget Rose Dugdale (heiress)
- Bridget Jane Fonda (actress and granddaughter of Henry Fonda)
- Bridget Hall (model)
- Bridget Cromwell Ireton (daughter of Oliver Cromwell)
- Bridget Moynahan (actress)
- Bridget Christina Marquardt (television personality)
- Bridget Monroe Pope (daughter of television personality Rosie Pope)
- Bridget Catherine Regan (actress)
- Bridget Elizabeth Sloan (gymnast)
Bridget in popular culture:
- Bridget Jones (titular character of the Bridget Jones's Diary franchise)
- Bridget Forrester (character on The Bold and the Beautiful)
- Brigitte Lindholm (character in the Overwatch video game franchise
- Bridget “Bee” Vreeland (main character in The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants)