The baby name Rhiannon instantly brings up sounds of the popular song by Fleetwood Mac of the same name. It is a beautiful name with a naturalistic feel relating to old Welsh mythology. Rhiannon is no longer on the top 1,000 list in America, but it is a great name option if you want something more unique.
Meaning of the name Rhiannon:
Welsh: great queen, divine queen
Origin of the name Rhiannon:
Rhiannon originates from the Old Celtic name Rigantona. Some believe that this latter name was actually the goddess over the moon and all of the fertility. Rhiannon became popular in Europe after the introduction of the character in Welsh mythology. She was found in the Mabinogion and was the mother of Pryderi.
Symbolism of the name Rhiannon:
Rhiannon means “great queen” or “divine queen” as it has the same meaning as the Welsh name Rigantona. She was seen as a queen to the old Celtic people as it was a name for one of their goddesses.
Style of the name Rhiannon:
Gender of the name Rhiannon:
Rhiannon is a naturalistic and unique baby name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Rhiannon:
Number of syllables in the name Rhiannon:
Emotion evoked from the name Rhiannon:
Rhiannon feels naturalistic and wholesome. When considering the background of the name, however, you understand the sense of regality associated with it.
Alternative spellings for the name Rhiannon:
Nicknames for the name Rhiannon:
Popularity of the name Rhiannon:
Rhiannon became a top 600 name in 1976 at rank 593. It rose to the top 500 list from 1977 to 1980 and again from 1998 to 2001. The name had its last year on the top 1,000 list in 2007 at rank 942.
Related names for the name Rhiannon:
Great middle names for Rhiannon and their meanings:
- Everly (wild boar in woodland clearing)
- Maisie (pearl)
- Fleur (flower)
- Esme (emerald)
- Kirrily (tree bark, leaf)
- Aurora (dawn)
- Jewel (precious)
Famous people with the name Rhiannon:
- Rhiannon Fish (actress, “A Love to Remember”)
- Rhiannon Giddens (musician from Carolina Chocolate Drops band)
- Rhiannon Jeffrey (swimmer)
- Rhiannon Wryn (actress, “The Last Mimzy”)
- Rhiannon Drake (actress
- Rhiannon Lassiter (novelist)
Rhiannons in popular culture:
- “Rhiannon” (title of a song by Fleetwood Mac)
- Rhiannon Abernathy (character from “Easy A”)
- Rhiannon Lawrence (character from “Boy Meets World”)
- Rhiannon Marcus (character from “Party of Five”)
- Rhiannon (character from “Every Day”)
- Rhiannon MacCallan (character from “Partholon” series)