Minerva is a name you do not hear a lot anymore. It is the Roman goddess of invention and wisdom, arts, and martial strength.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Minerva
Minerva is the name of a Roman goddess. Minerva was seen as the goddess of wisdom, justice, and the law. As such, the name can be interpreted to mean wisdom or justice. Alternative meanings include “mind, intellect, the resourceful one”.
Symbolism of the Name Minerva
Minerva was the Roman goddess of wisdom, war, arts, schools, justice, and commerce. This is a name that appeals to adventurous and feminist parents.
Nicknames for the Name Minerva
Minerva is often shortened to Minnie, but there are a lot of other options out there if that doesn't appeal to you! We've gathered the best Minerva nicknames here for you to look at:
Style of the Name Minerva
Gender of the Name Minerva
Minerva is a girl's name.
Pronunciation of the Name Minerva
Number of Syllables in the Name Minerva
Emotion Evoked From the Name Minerva
Minerva evokes calm and logic
Alternative Spellings for the Name Minerva
Popularity of the Name Minerva
Minerva was the most popular in the early 1900s. By the 1930s it was beginning to decline to about half of its original popularity. By the late 1960s, the popularity of the name went way down and it was used less by the 1970s. The name has not appeared on the top 1,000 at any point during the 21st century.
Related Names for the Name Minerva
Great Middle Names for Minerva and Their Meanings
- Andrea (strong and brave)
- Luz (light)
- Edna (pleasure)
- Wara (homeland)
- Jasmin (jasmine flower)
- Delia (pleasant and noble)
- Catia (pure)
- Norma (precept)
Famous People with the Name Minerva
- Minerva Urecal (American actress)
- Minerva Josephine Chapman (American painter)
- Minerva Teichert (American painter)
- Minerva Cuevas (Mexican conceptual artist)
- Minerva Parker Nichols (American architect)
- Minerva Pious (American actress)
- Minerva Mendez (American actress)
- Minerva Vazquez (American reality TV contestant on “The Next Great Baker”
- Ida Minerva Tarbell (American muckraking journalist)
- Minerva Mirabal (Dominican activist)
Minervas in Popular Culture
- Featured in the Seal of California
- Featured on the U.S. Military Medal of Honor
- Statue Minerva in the center of the Pioneer Monument of San Francisco
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Volodymyr TVERDOKHLIB/Shutterstock.com.