Lilith has a dainty and delicate feel, but a very dark meaning. The name was first used for a demon in Jewish mythology. Though around since ancient times, Lilith only became a top 1,000 name in the year 2010 and a top 400 name in 2020 in America.
Meaning of the name Lilith:
Assyrian: ghost, night monster
Origin of the name Lilith:
Lilith originates from Jewish mythology. The name was said to be that of Adam's first wife who was a demon according to the folklore. This woman was said to be evil, which is why Eve was created by God. Any children that Lilith had with Adam were said to be evil spirits.
Symbolism of the name Lilith:
The baby name Lilith means “ghost” or “night monster” as it has such a dark meaning in Jewish lore. The baby name actually comes from the Akkadian language with the word “lilitu” meaning “of the night.”
Style of the name Lilith:
Gender of the name Lilith:
Lilith is a formal and delicate name for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Lilith:
Number of syllables in the name Lilith:
Emotion evoked from the name Lilith:
Lilith feels dainty and pretty. Though Lilith has a dark meaning, it has a certain delicacy.
Alternative spellings for the name Lilith:
Nicknames for the name Lilith:
Popularity of the name Lilith:
Lilith has only been a top 1,000 name in the United States for just over a decade. It rose to top 500 status in 2017 and in 2019 at rank 401. Currently, Lilith is a top 400 option at rank 316 in 2020.
Related names for the name Lilith:
Great middle names for Lilith and their meanings:
- Adair (wealthy spear)
- Wren (small brown songbird)
- Roxanne (bright, sunlight, day)
- Delilah (delicate)
- Sage (herb, prophet)
- Aurora (dawn)
- Briar (wild roses, brambles)
- Fiore (flower)
Famous people with the name Lilith:
- Lilith Love (pseudonym of Henriette van Gasteren)
- Lilith Nagar (singer in Israel)
- Lilith Saintcrow (novelist, “Night Shift”)
Liliths in popular culture:
- Lilith Crane (character from “Cheers” and “Frasier”)
- Lilith Arthur (character from “Teen Titans”)
- Lilith Arthur (character from “Lilith”)
- Lilith (character from “Supernatural”)
- Lilith (character from “True Blood”)
- Lilith (character from “Nevermore”)