If you're expecting a little girl, you're likely on the hunt for the perfect name for her. If you're looking to give your daughter a name that conjures intrigue and mystery, you'll want to choose a girl name that means dark. Here is a list of 25 options to get your wheels turning.
RELATED: Baby Names That Mean Dark
- AmayaAmaya, with Basque and Japanese origins meaning “night rain; the end; mother city”, is a beautiful name fitting for a pretty baby girl.
- Baize Baize, French for “dark brown”, is certainly an exceptional name option that's easy and quick to say.
- Blakely Blakely, meaning “dark wood or clearing”, is a standard surname that sounds more stylish when used as a given name.
- Bruna Bruna, Italian for “brown”, is a fun choice for a dark-haired baby girl.
- Ciara Ciara, meaning “little dark one”, has Irish roots and a handful of different pronunciations so parents can choose which best suits them.
- EbonyEbony, with English origins meaning “deeply black wood”, is a beautiful given name held in high favor.
- Esmeray Esmeray, meaning “dark moon”, is a mysterious and pretty name option that comes with many cute nickname choices like “Esme”, “May”, and “Ray”.
- IndigoIndigo, although meaning “Indian dye”, is also a color name that represents the lovely deep, dark blue-purple tone.
- Inola Inola, with Cherokee origins meaning “black fox”, offers a powerful and spiritual-like name for a stunning baby girl.
- KaliKali, from Sanskrit meaning “black one”, is a bold choice with fitting roots as it's the same name as the fierce Hindu goddess of destruction.
- Kiera Kiera, Irish for “little dark one”, is a popular name as well as a distinctive one, especially when spelled in this authentic way.
- Leila Leila, Arabic and Persian meaning “night”, has an almost fairytale feel to it that is perfect for a beautiful baby girl.
- LilaLila, meaning “night; play”, is a stylish given name that, even with its ever-growing popularity, remains a cute choice.
- LilithLilith, with Assyrian origins for “ghost, night monster”, is backed by some slight demonic connotations from the Jewish faith, yet it remains a pleasant-sounding name choice.
- Mahogany Mahogany, Spanish for “rich, strong”, represents the dark wood material as well as making for a unique given name.
- Maurelle Maurelle, meaning “dark, elfin”, is simply a perfect choice to highlight your cute and tiny baby girl.
- MelanieMelanie, with Greek origins for “black, dark”, has popularity not only backed by two Roman saints, but also by the famous “Gone with the Wind” tale.
- Mellie Mellie, meaning “black, dark”, is typically a nickname for many names like “Melissa” and “Amelia”, but it works as a cute given name as well.
- Nila Nila, Sanskrit for “dark blue”, is a charming name that can work across different languages and cultures.
- Nisha Nisha, meaning “night”, has Hindi origins and a sweet sound that easily rolls off the tongue.
- Rajani Rajani, meaning “dark, of the night”, is a pleasant name that is bursting with charm and uniqueness.
- RavenRaven, both a word and an animal name, has several inspirations with the more popular option coming from comic books as it's the name for a member from Teen Titans and the anti-hero Mystique from X-Men's real name.
- Sable Sable, typically meaning “animal name”, is also a word name for a rich and warm black color, making it a suiting choice for parents who want to stray from the standard color names.
Tamala – Tamala, with African origins meaning “dark tree”, is a nice modern name that isn't so widely used, making it a distinct option for your baby girl.
- Tinuviel Tinuviel, meaning “daughter of the twilight/nightingale”, is a great choice for fans of J. R. R. Tolkien's famed epic thanks to the elf princess who holds the name.
Expecting a baby boy? Check out “25 Boy Names That Mean Dark.”