If you're expecting a little girl, then you're likely looking for a beautiful name that captures a bit of strength and adventure while also conjuring a soothing, feminine vibe. From roaring ocean waves to bubbling creeks, water can capture those sentiments. If that's what you're looking for, then consider one of these girl names that mean water.
RELATED: Baby Names That Mean Water
- AmayaAmaya, meaning “night rain; mother city; the end”, has Japanese, Basque origins, yet when spelled in this manner, represents the Spanish version that is appealing and smooth to say.
- BrookeBrooke, meaning “small stream”, is a classic name option that balances the line of being chic and edgy at the same time.
- CordeliaCordelia, with Latin and Celtic origins for “heart; daughter of the sea”, is a sweet and elegant name for a charming baby girl that comes with perfect nicknames like “Delia” and “Cora”.
- Doris Doris, Greek for “gift of the ocean”, has an adorable meaning that's fitting for baby girls, but not just that, it's a good homage to Greek mythology as it's the name of the daughter of the god of the sea.
- GuinevereGuinevere, meaning “white shadow, white wave”, has a romantic feel about it for parents seeking something classic and cool.
- JennaJenna, English and Welsh for “white shadow, white wave”, is a diminutive form of “Jennifer”, which is the Cornish version of the name “Guinevere”, that offers a stylish twist on the original name.
- KendallKendall, meaning “valley of the river Kent”, has steadily gravitated toward being just for boys to being a fun name for baby girls as well.
- Maree Maree, French for “ocean tides”, is a nice change of pace for the usual “Marie”.
- Maren Maren, meaning “sea”, is a beautiful given name with strong Latin roots, yet it still a bit recent when used in place of the classic name “Mary”.
- Marina – Marina, meaning “from the sea”, is a pretty name used famously in Shakespeare's Pericles play.
- Maris Maris, Latin for “of the sea”, is an unusual, cute take that offers a pleasant spin to the traditional “Marissa” name.
- MayaMaya, meaning “water”, has a mystical feel thanks to it being found in Greek mythology for the mother of Hermes as well as being reveled amongst the Romans for being the incarnation of the goddess of spring and the earth mother.
- Mira Mira has several meanings such as “ocean; female ruler” as it's used across various cultures, but it can also simply be a way to shorten the likes of “Miranda”.
- Morwenna Morwenna, Welsh for “waves of the sea”, is a more historic, ancient name choice that has enough of a vintage feel to make it stylish today.
- Muriel Muriel, meaning “of the bright sea”, has beautiful poetic origins as it represented the Celtic angel governing the month of June.
- NahlaNahla, meaning “a drink of water”, is a lovely Arabic name that manages to have a gentle sound.
- Narelle Narelle, an Australian Aboriginal name meaning “little river”, is a common choice around the country, but it makes for a pretty name when used across various cultures.
- Nimue Nimue, a popular mystic name, is a wonderful option for parents who love Arthurian legends since it is the name for the Lady of the Lake.
- Nixie Nixie, with German origins meaning “water nymph”, is a beautiful choice for baby girls as it's further backed by being the name for the folklore sprites.
- RosemaryRosemary, although the name of an herb, also means “dew of the sea” in Latin, and there are plenty nicknames to get from it such as “Rose” and “Rosie”.
- SabrinaSabrina is a pleasant way to get a mythological name as it is the name of the nymph from the Severn River.
- Tahoe Tahoe, meaning “edge of the lake”, is a cute choice with Native American origins as well as representing the large Lake Tahoe.
- TaliaTalia, with Hebrew origins for “gentle dew from heaven; by the water”, has beautiful mythology relations as it's the name of one of the ten angels that attended the sun daily.
- Tallulah Tallulah, meaning “leaping water; lady of abundance”, is a sweet and charming name choice.
- Zarya Zarya, from Slavic origins, is the name of the water priestess, giving a gorgeous baby girl a powerful namesake.
Having a little boy? Then check out these 25 boy names that mean water.