Expecting a little boy? Then it's time to find the perfect baby name for him. For qualities that feel soothing and serene yet adventure-seeking, consider a boy name that means water. From Beck to Rafferty and plenty of names in between, here are 25 names for baby boys that mean water.
RELATED: Baby Names That Mean Water
- Aalto Aalto, meaning “wave”, is a nice Finnish name that has a creative, lyrical-like flair to it.
- Arno Arno, although German for “eagle”, is also the name for a main river located in Florence, and the meaning for the river in Italian is “flowing water”.
- Bach Bach, a German name meaning “dweller near the brook”, is a bold name choice that is perfect to place a baby boy on the same level as the great, world-renowned composer.
- Beck Beck, meaning “small stream”, is a cool given name that has a cool rustic feel to it while still being gentle enough for a baby.
- Calder Calder, with English origins for “rocky water”, is known as a surname, but it can also make for a fun and creative given name.
- Caspian Caspian, meaning “white”, is also a geographical name since it's the name for the vast salt-filled sea that sits between Europe and Asia.
- Clyde Clyde is a rather old-fashioned name that still feels fresh, and when used to represent the water, it shares a name with a Scottish river.
- Como Como, the name of a gorgeous lake in northern Italy, makes for an appealing and fun given name for a baby boy.
- Douglas Douglas, meaning “black water”, is a classic name that comes with adorable nicknames like “Doug” and “Dougie”.
- IrvingIrving, with Scottish origins for “green river, sea friend”, was originally a surname that has grown into a popular and beloved given name.
- Kano Kano, meaning “the god of waters”, works as a perfect cross-cultural name thanks to its Japanese origins and history as an African place name.
- Lir Lir is rarely used as a given name, yet its distinctiveness makes it an attractive choice fitting for a strong baby boy since the name is used in Irish mythology for the god of the sea.
- MalikMalik, with Arabic origins meaning “king; wave”, is a name that has crossed the globe and cultures well.
- MaxwellMaxwell, Scottish for “great stream”, is a largely popular name that is easy to shorten for a cute nickname like “Max”.
- MosesMoses, meaning “delivered from the water”, has obvious religious connections, but lately has seen a modern upheaval, more so when spelled in different translations such as “Moshe” in Israel and “Moises” in Spanish.
- Neptune Neptune is a powerful, otherworldly name choice for a strong baby boy as it represents the mythological Roman god of the sea.
- Orwell Orwell, meaning “the branch of the river”, is famously known for the novelist George Orwell, making it a cool choice for parents who adore classic literature.
- Pegasus Pegasus, meaning “from a water spring”, is famously known as the mythical and serene white-winged horse from Greek mythology, making it an incredibly strong choice for a spirited baby boy.
- Rafferty Rafferty, Irish for “floodtide, prosperity, abundance”, is a lively name that comes with fun nicknames like “Rafe”.
- RemingtonRemington, with English origins meaning “place on a riverbank”, is not just a bold choice for a baby boy, but it is a fun one too thanks to the baby sharing his namesake with the '80s action-hero “Remington Steele”.
- Rio Rio, meaning “river” in Spanish, is a beloved name used plenty in cowboy films, which can make it an entertaining choice for a rambunctious baby boy.
- Tiberius Tiberius, Latin for “of the Tiber”, stems from the name of the third-longest river located in Italy, and it can be a nice cultural given name for families that want a more unique way to highlight their culture.
- WadeWade, English for “at the river crossing”, is a nice in-between option that matches well with male relatives with names like “Cade”, especially if you have twins.
- Wyre Wyre, meaning “winding river”, is a unique choice for a water-based name as it is a geographical name for two British rivers.
- Zale Zale, meaning “sea-strength”, is a trendy-sounding, alluring name choice for a exceptional baby boy.
Having a daughter? Here are 25 girl names that mean water.