Moses is a Biblical Hebrew name that means “son” or “deliver”. Moses is one of the best known Biblical prophets who is responsible for leading the Israelites out of enslavement in Egypt as well as delivering the Ten Commandments. Moses has been a consistently popular name since 1900.
Meaning of the name Moses:
Origin of the name Moses:
Moses a Hebrew name meaning “son” or “deliver”. Moses derives from the Hebrew name Mosheh which likely comes from the Egyptian word “mes” meaning “son”.
Symbolism of the name Moses:
It’s impossible to separate the name Moses from the stories of the Biblical prophet that led the Israelites out of enslavement in Egypt.
Style of the name Moses:
Gender of the name Moses:
Moses is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Moses:
Number of syllables in the name Moses:
Emotion evoked from the name Moses:
Moses evokes feelings of hard work and spirituality.
Alternative spellings for the name Moses:
Nicknames for the name Moses:
Popularity of the name Moses:
According to the Social Security Administration, Moses is a popular baby boy’s name. Moses has been in the top 1000 baby names since 1900. Moses peaked in 1900 at #181.
Related names for the name Moses:
Great middle names for the name Moses and their meanings:
- Aaron (enlightened)
- Dylan (son of the sea)
- Jacob (supplanter)
- James (supplanter)
- Charles (free man)
- Samuel (told by God)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Nathaniel (gift of God)
Famous people with the name Moses:
- Moses Mendelssohn (German Jewish philosopher)
- Moses Malone (American basketball player)
- Moses Montefiore (Italian-British philanthropist)
- Moses Fleetwood “Fleet” Walker (American baseball player)
- Moses Mortimer Barrett III aka Petey Pablo (American rapper)
Moses in popular culture:
- Moses (film, “Attack the Block”)
- Moses Agency (film, “Diamonds”)
- MosesJane Grace “Mosey” Slocumb (literature, “A Grown,Up Kind Of Pretty” by Joshilyn Jackson)
- Archie Moses (film, “Bulletproof”)
- Moses Hightower (film, “Police Academy” series)