James is one of the most popular baby boy names. Favored and fashionable for centuries, the name James has a solid place in history and popular culture. James is the given name of six U.S. presidents, and James Cook was the most celebrated British explorer of the Age of Exploration. The King James Version (KJV) is the most-translated version of the Bible. James “Logan” Howlett (aka Wolverine) is one of the most important characters in the Marvel Universe, and comedians like James “Jim” Carrey and James “Jimmy” Fallon are beloved among fans. Keep reading to learn more about this name.
Meaning of the name James:
Hebrew, Latin: Supplanter, one who follows
Origin of the name James:
James derives from the Latin name Iacomus. This name was a variant of the Biblical Latin form Iacobus. The Latin form ultimately descended from the Hebrew name Ya'aqov (meaning “supplanter” or “one who follows”). James has the same origin as the name Jacob. In the Bible, Jacob appears in the Old Testament while James appears in the New Testament. James is the name of two New Testament apostles as well as the name of a brother of Jesus.
Symbolism of the name James:
James means “supplanter” or “one who follows,” and the most common symbol for James is the heel. Since James VI is famous as the first ruler of all Britain, another symbol for James is the unified British crown.
Style of the name James:
Gender of the name James:
James is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name James:
Number of syllables in the name James:
Emotion evoked from the name James:
The name James evokes feelings of prominence and prestige.
Alternative spellings for the name James:
Nicknames for the name James:
Popularity of the name James:
According to the Social Security Administration index, James was the sixth most popular baby name for boys in 2020. James was among the top five baby names for boys from 2016-2018.
Related names for the name James:
Great middle names for James and their meanings:
- Andrew (manly)
- Bennett (blessed)
- Dylan (son of the sea)
- Edward (wealthy guardian, protector)
- Edwin (rich friend)
- Hunter (he who hunts)
- Maxwell (great stream)
- Randall (wolf shield)
- Tyler (tiller)
- Vincent (conquering, victorious)
Famous people with the name James:
- James VI and I (sovereign of Scotland, England, and Ireland)
- James Joseph Brown (singer)
- James Francis Cameron (film director)
- James Edward Franco (actor)
- James Earl Jones (actor)
- James Joyce (writer)
- James Madison (statesman)
- James Paul Marsden (model)
- James McAvoy (actor)
- James Brendan Patterson (writer)
James in popular culture:
- James Bond (protagonist in the famous espionage series by Ian Fleming)
- James Isaac “Jimmy” Neutron (character in the eponymous cartoon)
- James “Jimmy” Kent (character on Downton Abbey)
- James Potter (father of Harry Potter)
- James Sirius Potter (son of Harry Potter)