Jim is a friendly and amiable baby name for boys. Known for its peak in the 1940s, Jim is the namesake of some of the world's favorite 20th-century icons. Jim Hawkins is a main character in the Treasure Island franchise, and Jim Moritz and Jim Wilson are both characters in the Marvel Comics universe. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Jim:
Origin of the name Jim:
Jim originated as a medieval diminutive of the name James. The name James is the English version of the Latin name Iacomus. This name ultimately derived from the Hebrew phrase Ya'aqov (meaning “supplanter” or “he who follows”).
Symbolism of the name Jim:
Jim is a diminutive of the name James. In the Christian Bible, both James and Jacob derive from the Hebrew phrase Ya'aqov (meaning “supplanter” or “he who follows”). Jacob is a figure in the Old Testament and James appears in the New Testament. The symbol of both Jacob and James is the heel.
Style of the name Jim:
Gender of the name Jim:
Jim is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Jim:
Number of syllables in the name Jim:
Emotion evoked from the name Jim:
The name Jim evokes feelings of joviality and good cheer.
Alternative spellings for the name Jim:
Nicknames for the name Jim:
Popularity of the name Jim:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Jim was the 3,002nd most popular baby name for boys in 2020.
Related names for the name Jim:
Great middle names for Jim and their meanings:
- Asher (blessed, happy)
- Booker (scribe)
- Eliseo (God is my salvation)
- Gavin (white hawk)
- Liam (strong-willed warrior)
- Obadiah (servant of God)
- Pablo (small, humble)
- Reuel (friend of God)
- Rohan (red haired, ascending)
- Wendell (traveler, sojourner, wanderer)
- Zamir (mind, heart, conscience, nightingale)
Famous people with the name Jim:
- Jim Acosta (journalist)
- Jim Bakker (televangelist)
- Jim Carrey (actor)
- Jim Gordon (musician)
- Jim Jefferies (comedian)
- Jim Morrison (poet)
- Jim Parsons (actor)
- Jim Travis Reeves (singer)
- Jim Guy Tucker (politician)
- Jim Wise (actor)
Jim in popular culture:
- Jim Donovan Halliday (character in the Ready Player One series)
- Jim Halpert (character in The Office series)
- Jim Hawkins (character in Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson)
- Jim Morita (character in the Marvel Comics universe)
- Jim Eugene Raynor (character in the StarCraft series)
- Jim Wilson (character in the Marvel Comics universe)