Juan is the Spanish version of John, and it also dates back to Iohannes. Though not as popular as John, Juan has done quite well on the Social Security Popularity Index. It was a top 100 name for several decades and is still a top 150 option even today.
Meaning of the Name Juan
Juan became a popular baby name in Spanish-speaking countries during the Middle Ages and means “God is gracious”. The name spread due to the character from Spanish folklore, Don Juan. Juan comes from the same Latin root name as John, Iohannes. This name comes from the Greek Ioannes and the Hebrew Yochanan.
Juan is the Spanish variation of the English baby name, John. Both date back to the Latin Iohannes, and ultimately, the Hebrew Yochanan, as aforementioned. Yochanan means “Yahweh is gracious” because of the root words “yo” and “chanan.” “Yo” means “God” or “Yahweh,” and “chanan” means “to be gracious.”
Nicknames for Juan
Juan feels strong and common. It is a friendly name with an international flavor. Below, we've compiled a list of fun nicknames for the Juan in your life. However, feel free to come up with a nickname that suits their vibrant personality.
Juan Name Details
Gender: Juan is traditionally considered to be a boys name.
Alternative Spelling for Juan
Juan Name Popularity
There have only been a few years in the past century and a quarter when Juan has come off of the top 200 list of the Social Security Popularity Index. The name became a top 100 name in 1970, lasting until 2014. It ranked highest in 1999 at number 46. As of 2020, Juan is still a top 200 option, coming in at number 145.
Related Names for Juan
Great Middle Names for Juan and Their Meanings
- Miguel (who is like God?)
- Paul (humble, small)
- Carlos (free man)
- Javier (castle, new house, bright)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Gustavo (royal staff, staff of the gods)
- Ernesto (serious)
- Andres (manly, brave)
Famous People Named Juan
- Juan Peron (former president of Argentina)
- Juan de Leon (Spanish explorer)
- Juan de Rosas (politician in Argentina)
- Juan Garcia (soccer player)
- Juan Pareja (actor, “The Infiltrators”)
- Juan Jimenez (Nobel Prize winner, poet)
- Juan Gris (sculptor)
- Juan del Potro (tennis player)
Juan in Popular Culture
- Juan Castillo (character from “Destinos”)
- Juan Ortiz (character from “Sons of Anarchy”)
- Juan Corrida (character from “Ace Attorney”)
- Juan Ceballos (character from DC comics)
- Juan Cabrillo (character from “Oregon Files”)
- Juan Rico (character from “Starship Troopers”)
- Juan Villa (character from “Highlander”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Anicka S/Shutterstock.com.