Matteo began as the Italian and even Spanish translation of the English Matthew. It is slowly becoming a name for boys of any culture, however. Even Colin Firth decided to name his son Matteo.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Matteo:
Matteo is the Italian version of the English baby name Matthew. Matthew itself comes from the Greek name Matthaios, which was a form of the Hebrew name Mattityahu. In the original Hebrew language, this name meant “gift of Yahweh”. This can translate into “gift of God”.
Symbolism of the Name Matteo:
The name Mattityahu that Matthew and Matteo each come from breaks down to the root words “mattan” and “yah”. “Mattan” means “gift” in the Hebrew language and “yah” means “Yahweh”. Yahweh is the Hebrew term for God.
Nicknames for the Name Matteo:
Matteo is a more unique alternative to the common name Matthew. If this is the name you've selected for your child, you'll want to check out the nicknames available for it:
- Matt Hatter
- Matt in the Hat
Style of the Name Matteo:
Gender of the Name Matteo:
Matteo is a great name for baby boys.
Pronunciation of the Name Matteo:
Number of Syllables in the Name Matteo:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Matteo:
Matteo is a very strong and straightforward name. It has a lot of power behind it.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Matteo:
Popularity of the Name Matteo:
Matteo has only been on the top 1,000 list for boys in the United States since 1998. As of the year 2015, it has earned a spot on the top 200 list for boys. In 2022, the name ranked at number 184.
Related Names for the Name Matteo:
Great Middle Names for Matteo and Their Meanings:
- Blake (swarthy, dark-haired)
- Cesar (head of hair)
- Christian (follower of Christ)
- Damian (to tame, to subdue)
- Dominic (belonging to God, Lordly)
- Isaac (one who laughs)
- Steven (wreath crown, honor, fame)
- Victor (conqueror)
Famous People with the Name Matteo:
- Matteo Bandello (novelist, “Novelle Di Matteo Bandello”)
- Matteo Bisiani (professional archer)
- Matteo Carcassi (professional guitarist)
- Matteo Ferrari (professional soccer player, Montreal Impact)
- Matteo Denaro (infamous criminal, 10 most wanted)
- Matteo Renzi (prime minister of Italy)
- Matteo Cicciari (professional model)
Matteos in Popular Culture:
- Matteo Balsano (character from “Soy Luna”)
- Matteo Cocchiola (character in “Battlefield”)
- Matteo Florenzi (character in “Druck” TV show)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©SchubPhoto/Shutterstock.com.