Donovan is an Irish baby boy’s name that means “dark”. Like many Irish classics, Donovan is an Anglicized name. In this case, Donovan derives from Donndubán. Donovan has been a classic name since at least 1900, but in a rare twist, it has steadily increased in popularity since the beginning of the 20th century and only peaked in 2003.
Meaning of the name Donovan:
Origin of the name Donovan:
Donovan is a baby boy’s name of Irish origin that means “dark”. Donovan is the Anglicized form of the name Donndubán. It is also derived from the Irish surname Ó Donndubháin.
Symbolism of the name Donovan:
Donovan means “dark” and most likely referred to a person who had dark hair or eyes. In a country that has high concentrations of red-haired and blonde people with light-colored eyes, someone of a darker coloration was noteworthy.
Style of the name Donovan:
Gender of the name Donovan:
Donovan is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Donovan:
Number of syllables in the name Donovan:
Emotion evoked from the name Donovan:
Donovan evokes feelings of practicality and intelligence.
Alternative spellings for the name Donovan:
Danavan, Donavan, Donovahn, Donoven, Donevahn
Nicknames for the name Donovan:
Popularity of the name Donovan:
According to the Social Security Administration, Donovan is a popular baby boy’s name. Donovan has been in the top 1000 baby names since 1900. It peaked in 2003 at #176.
Related names for the name Donovan:
Great middle names for the name Donovan and their meanings:
- Oscar (God spear, deer-lover, champion warrior)
- Jasper (bringer of treasure)
- Silas (wood, forest)
- Asher (fortunate, blessed, happy one)
- Milo (soldier, merciful)
- Emmett (universal)
- Wyatt (brave in war)
- Luke (man from Lucania)
Famous people with the name Donovan:
- Donovan Philips Leitch (Scottish singer-songwriter)
- Donovan Warren (American football player)
- Donovan Bailey (Canadian Olympic sprinter)
- Donovan Patton (American actor)
- Donovan Jamal McNabb (American NFL football player)
Donovan in popular culture:
- Donovan (literature, “The Puzzle Ring” by Kate Forsyth)
- Donovan (television, “American Horror Story”)
- Donovan (television, “Berserk”)
- Mike Donovan (literature, writings by Isaac Asimov)
- Matt Donovan (television, “The Vampire Diaries”)