From Atlas to Orion and beyond, this list of boy names that mean night is filled with handsome and intriguing options. Explore this list of names and their meanings, and select a moniker that best suits your little one.
RELATED: Baby Names That Mean Night
- AtlasAtlas is a Greek origin name. It means to carry, and is also one of the moons of Saturn.
- Sterling – Sterling is an Old English name. It translates to “little star.” Sterling is also a type of jewelry, fine jewelry to be exact, which adds a bit of class to the name choice. Fans of the adult comedy Archer might recognize the name.
- Jericho Jericho is the name of a famous star only seen at night. The star Jericho is said to be the “city of the Moon” according to Arabic culture.
- Darcel – Darcel is a French name that means “night.” It is a popular boys' name thanks to the Jane Austen novel Pride and Prejudice.
- Nash Nash is a trendy one syllable name and the name of a star in the constellation Sagittarius. It is an old English translation.
- Duff Duff is a boys' name that means darkness. It's a Gaelic name and a great choice for male children born at night.
- SullivanSullivan is a great name for little boys that have eyes as dark as the night sky. The name translates to a “child with dark eyes.”
- Luan Luan has Portuguese origins. It is believed to be the male version of Luna and is often shortened to Lou.
- Sirius – Sirius is the brightest star that can be seen from Earth at night. The unusual name has grown in popularity because of Sirius Black, a central character in the famous Harry Potter series.
- OrionOrion is the name of a famous constellation that can only be seen at night. It is most often used as a boys' first name, but could be used for a daughter as well.
- ApolloApollo is a strong male name with roots in Greek mythology. Apollo was the son of Zeus. He was the god of medicine and extremely handsome. Parents wanting a strong name for their male children should choose this.
- ColeCole is a boys' name that is incredibly popular in Scotland. The names means “swarthy.” It conjures images of coal black, much like the stillness of the night. It is also a name shared with kings and Scotland royalty.
- DonovanDonovan is an Irish name originally only heard of as a last name, but has since become popular as a first name. It translates to mean darkness. Popular nickname options for Donovan include Donnie or Don.
- ZekeZeke means shooting star. Not everyone is lucky enough to see a shooting star in their lifetime, which makes this a great name choice for parents who had difficulty conceiving or waited for their little bundle of joy for a long time.
This is When You Should Decide on a Baby Name
It's a good idea to give yourself ample time to decide on a name for your baby. If you rush the decision, you're quite likely to end up with a name that you aren't the biggest fan of. Give yourself at least a month to think over the question of what to name your baby.
When you're in the process of trying to pick a baby name, you should set a rough deadline for yourself. This will help you stay organized, and will allow you to ensure you have a name picked out in time. You should have a baby name picked out by the final 2-3 weeks of your pregnancy. You'll have plenty to think about as your pregnancy sunsets, so you don't need something extra to think about when it comes to a name.
As you think about first names, make sure you aren't forgetting about a middle name! If you're lost as to what middle name to give your baby, we have quite a few articles on our site with ideas. Be sure to bookmark Moms Who Think so you can come back for all of your name needs! Finally, check out our informative articles on pregnancy, childbirth, and life with a newborn.
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©pixelparticle/Shutterstock.com.