Apollo is a stunning classic name. With its origins in the Golden Age of Greece, Apollo has made a remarkable journey into modern popular culture. Apollo Adama is the main character in the Battlestar Galactica television series, and Apollo Creed was the main rival in the Rocky movie series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the Name Apollo
Apollo dates back to the days of early Greece and has a few different meanings, including “father of light”, assembly, strength, redeemer, and destroyer. Although the precise meaning is unknown, some experts link the name to the Indo-European word *apelo (meaning “strength”). Others link the name to the Attic or Doric word Apellaios (a festival month held in honor of the prehistoric sun god).
During the Golden Age of Greece, most people associated the name with the verb apollymi (meaning “to destroy”). At the same time, the Greek philosopher Plato connected Apollo to the noun apolysis (meaning “redemption”). Apollo is also a cognate of Appaliunas, a Hittite god whose name means “father of light.”
Apollo is one of the 12 Olympians in Greek mythology. He is the son of Zeus and Leto. Apollo's twin is the goddess Diana. Ancient Greeks worshiped Apollo as the god of prophecy, healing, archery, beauty, and music. The Greeks later associated Apollo with the sun and light.
According to Greek mythology, Apollo's love interest (Daphne) rejected his advances and transformed into a laurel tree instead. For this reason, the symbol for Apollo is the laurel wreath. Other symbols include the lyre, raven, swan, and archer's bow.
Nicknames for Apollo
The name Apollo evokes feelings of brilliance and beauty.
Apollo Name Details
Gender: Apollo is commonly known to be a boys name.
Alternative Spelling for Apollo
Apollo Name Popularity
According to the Social Security Administration index, Apollo was the 448th most popular name for boys in 2020. Apollo has ranked on the list for baby boy names since 2012.
Related Names for Apollo
Great Middle Names for Apollo and Their Meanings
- Andreas (manly)
- Benedict (blessed)
- Darius (rich, kingly, possessor)
- Felix (happy, fortunate)
- Georges (farmer)
- Grant (tall, great, large)
- Raul (wolf counsel)
- Rex (king)
- Tate (cheerful, bright)
- Zeke (God strengthens)
Famous People Named Apollo
- Apollo Brown (music producer)
- Apollo Kironde (diplomat)
- Apolo Anton Ohno (Olympic skater)
- Apollo Nida (television personality)
- Apollo Perelini (rugby player)
- Apollo Carreon Quiboloy (pastor)
- Apollo Robbins (magician)
- Apollo Bowie Flynn Rossdale (son of singer Gwen Stefani)
- Apollo Milton Olin Smith (rocket scientist)
- Apollos “Paul” Smith (entrepreneur)
Apollo in Popular Culture
- Apollo Adama (main character in the Battlestar Galactica television series)
- Apollo Creed (main rival in the Rocky movie series)
- Apollo Justice (character in the Ace Attorney video game series)
- Apollo Theater (iconic music hall in Harlem, New York City)