Apollo is a stunning classic name. With its origins in the Golden Age of Greece, Apollo has made a remarkable journey into modern popular culture. Apollo Adama is the main character in the Battlestar Galactica television series, and Apollo Creed was the main rival in the Rocky movie series. Keep reading to learn more about this baby name.
Meaning of the name Apollo:
Greek: Destroyer, redeemer
Hittite: Father of light
Attic, Doric: Assembly
Origin of the name Apollo:
Apollo dates back to the days of early Greece. Although the precise meaning is unknown, some experts link the name to the Indo-European word *apelo (meaning “strength”). Others link the name to the Attic or Doric word Apellaios (a festival month held in honor of the prehistoric sun god).
During the Golden Age of Greece, most people associated the name with the verb apollymi (meaning “to destroy”). At the same time, the Greek philosopher Plato connected Apollo to the noun apolysis (meaning “redemption”). Apollo is also a cognate of Appaliunas, a Hittite god whose name means “father of light.”
Symbolism of the name Apollo:
Apollo is one of the 12 Olympians in Greek mythology. He is the son of Zeus and Leto. Apollo's twin is the goddess Diana. Ancient Greeks worshiped Apollo as the god of prophecy, healing, archery, beauty, and music. The Greeks later associated Apollo with the sun and light.
According to Greek mythology, Apollo's love interest (Daphne) rejected his advances and transformed into a laurel tree instead. For this reason, the symbol for Apollo is the laurel wreath. Other symbols include the lyre, raven, swan, and archer's bow.
Style of the name Apollo:
Gender of the name Apollo:
Apollo is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Apollo:
Number of syllables in the name Apollo:
Emotion evoked from the name Apollo:
The name Apollo evokes feelings of brilliance and beauty.
Alternative spellings for the name Apollo:
Nicknames for the name Apollo:
Popularity of the name Apollo:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Apollo was the 448th most popular name for boys in 2020. Apollo has ranked on the list for baby boy names since 2012.
Related names for the name Apollo:
Great middle names for Apollo and their meanings:
- Andreas (manly)
- Benedict (blessed)
- Darius (rich, kingly, possessor)
- Felix (happy, fortunate)
- Georges (farmer)
- Grant (tall, great, large)
- Raul (wolf counsel)
- Rex (king)
- Tate (cheerful, bright)
- Zeke (God strengthens)
Famous people with the name Apollo:
- Apollo Brown (music producer)
- Apollo Kironde (diplomat)
- Apolo Anton Ohno (Olympic skater)
- Apollo Nida (television personality)
- Apollo Perelini (rugby player)
- Apollo Carreon Quiboloy (pastor)
- Apollo Robbins (magician)
- Apollo Bowie Flynn Rossdale (son of singer Gwen Stefani)
- Apollo Milton Olin Smith (rocket scientist)
- Apollos “Paul” Smith (entrepreneur)
Apollo in popular culture:
- Apollo Adama (main character in the Battlestar Galactica television series)
- Apollo Creed (main rival in the Rocky movie series)
- Apollo Justice (character in the Ace Attorney video game series)
- Apollo Theater (iconic music hall in Harlem, New York City)