The baby name Benedict is a strong name option for boys with a deep religious history. It is a different name choice for parents who like longer names like Benjamin. It is rising in popularity, coming back in 2018 on the top 1,000 list after 50 years off of it.
Meaning and Origin of the Name Benedict:
Benedict originated from the Latin baby name Benedictus. The first individual with the baby name Benedict was a monk in Italy in the sixth century who founded a sect of the church called the Benedictines. The name became popular in England after the twelfth century, even becoming popular in America after the American Revolution. The name means “blessed”.
Symbolism of the Name Benedict:
The baby name Benedict means the same as the ancient baby name Benedictus. This latter name was translated to “blessed” in English.
Nicknames for the Name Benedict:
Benedict is a sophisticated name with deep religious ties. Here are our picks for the best Benedict names:
Style of the Name Benedict:
Gender of the Name Benedict:
Benedict is a mature baby name for boys.
Pronunciation of the Name Benedict:
Number of Syllables in the Name Benedict:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Benedict:
Benedict is a formal and wholesome baby name option. It is refined, serious, and mature.
Alternative Spellings for the Name Benedict:
Popularity of the Name Benedict:
The baby name Benedict was a top 1,000 baby name option in America until 1968. In that year, it was rank 971. The name did not reappear on the top 1,000 list for over 50 years. In 2018, it came back at rank 983 before dropping off again. The name returned to the list in 2021. As of 2022, the name ranks at 963.
Related Names for the Name Benedict:
Great Middle Names for Benedict and Their Meanings:
- Ambrose (the immortal one)
- Malcolm (devotee of Saint Columbia)
- Xavier (splendid, bright, new house)
- Alexander (defender of men)
- Michael (who is like God?)
- Jerome (sacred name)
- Arnold (eagle power)
- Marshall (horsekeeper, master of horses)
Famous People with the Name Benedict:
- Benedict I – XVI (popes)
- Benedict Cumberbatch (actor, “Sherlock”)
- Benedict Arnold (Revolutionary War general)
- Benedict Carpenter (sculptor)
- Benedict Mulroney (TV presenter)
- Benedict Wong (actor, “Doctor Strange”)
Benedicts in Popular Culture:
- Benedict (character from “Beatrice el Benedict”)
- Benedict Copeland (character from “The Heart is a Lonely Hunter”)
- Benedict of Amber (character from the “Chronicles of Amber”)
- Benedict (character from “Codename: Kids Next Door”)
- Benedict Blue (character from “Violet Evergarden”)
The image featured at the top of this post is ©Africa Studio/Shutterstock.com.