Ben is a popular baby boy’s name of Hebrew origin. Ben means “son of” and is the diminutive of the names Benjamin and Benedict. Ben is a popular name because it is timeless and familiar.
Meaning of the name Ben:
Hebrew: son of
Origin of the name Ben:
Ben is a baby boy’s name of Hebrew origin that means “son of”. Ben is a diminutive of the names Benjamin and Benedict.
Symbolism of the name Ben:
Before Ben was a given name it was used as a name element that indicated someone was the “son of” someone else, similar to a patronymic surname.
Style of the name Ben:
Gender of the name Ben:
Ben is a boy's baby name.
Pronunciation of the name Ben:
Number of syllables in the name Ben:
Emotion evoked from the name Ben:
Ben evokes feelings of wisdom and level-headedness.
Alternative spellings for the name Ben:
Benn, Behn, Bin
Nicknames for the name Ben:
Popularity of the name Ben:
According to the Social Security Administration, Ben is a popular boy’s name. Ben has been in the top 1000 baby names since 1900. Ben was in the top 100 names from 1900 to 1911.
Related names for the name Ben:
Great middle names for the name Ben and their meanings:
- Henry (estate ruler)
- Jasper (bringer of treasure)
- Cosmo (order, beauty)
- Arlo (between two hills)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Remy (oarsman)
- Caleb (devotion to God)
- Otto (wealthy)
- Theodore (gift of God)
- Atticus (from Attica)
- Nathaniel (gift of God)
Famous people with the name Ben:
- Benjamin “Ben” Barnes (English actor)
- Benjamin “Ben” Stiller (American actor and director)
- Ben Hecht (American screenwriter)
- Ben Feldman (American actor)
- Ben Affleck (American actor and director)
Ben in popular culture:
- Ben Kenobi (film, “Star Wars: A New Hope”)
- Ben Solo (film, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”)
- Ben Geller (television, “Friends”)
- Ben Warren (television, “Grey's Anatomy”)
- Ben Chang (television, “Community”)