Theodore hails from classical Greek times as it is a play on the Greek name Theodoros or the Latin name Theodorus. The name literally translates to God's gift, which is the same for the names Dorothy or Theodora. The name was most popular during the 1900s due to President Theodore Roosevelt. Celebrities continue to use this name in modern times though due to the popularity of vintage-sounding names.
Meaning of the name Theodore:
Greek: divine gift, gift of God
Origin of the name Theodore:
Theodore was created from the Greek name Theodoros. Theodoros has a meaning of “gift of God.” After the creation of the more modern Theodore, many saints were given the name. It began to spread throughout Europe through the Christian church.
Symbolism of the name Theodore:
The name Theodore, though coming from the Greek Theodoros, is based on two root Greek words. The first is “theos” which means God, and the second is “doron” which means gift. When combining the two, you get the meaning of divine gift or gift of God.
Style of the name Theodore:
The baby name Theodore is classical to ancient Greece.
Gender of the name Theodore:
The baby name Theodore is for boys, while the feminine version, Theodora, is for girls.
Pronunciation of the name Theodore:
Number of syllables in the name Theodore:
The baby name Theodore has three syllables.
Emotion evoked from the name Theodore:
The name Theodore feels heart-warming. It is a strong name, but the strength comes from a place of protection and caring nature.
Alternative spellings for the name Theodore:
Nicknames for the name Theodore:
Popularity of the name Theodore:
The name Theodore was on the top 100 list from 1900 to 1944, spanning over four decades, possibly in part due to President Theodore Roosevelt. With the rise of vintage names, the name is back on the top 100 list as of the year 2015. In 2018, however, the name actually was put on the top 50 list, with it ranking as number 23 in 2020.
Related names for the name Theodore:
Great middle names for Theodore and their meanings:
- Charles (free man)
- Alexander (defender of man)
- Joseph (He will add)
- Michael (who is like God?)
- Anthony (priceless one)
- Isaac (He laughs)
- Zachary (God remembers)
- Miles (soldier)
Famous people with the name Theodore:
- Theodore Roosevelt (former president)
- Theodore Williams (professional baseball player)
- Theodore Stevens (Alaskan senator)
- Theodore Shackleford (actor, “The Man with the Yellow Hat”)
- Theodore Pendergrass (R&B singer)
- Theodore Knight (actor, “Grey's Anatomy”)
- Theodore Dreiser (author, “An American Tragedy”)
Theodores in popular culture:
- Theodore Huxtable (character on “The Cosby Show”)
- Theodore (character from “Alvin and the Chipmunks”)
- Theodore Cleaver (character from “Leave It to Beaver”)
- Theodore Douglas (character from “The Walking Dead”)
- Theodore Laurence (character in “Little Women”)