Miles is an English name derived from either the Germanic name Milo which means “merciful” or the Latin term “miles” which means “soldier”.
Meaning of the name Miles:
English: soldier, merciful
Origin of the name Miles:
Miles is an English name meaning “soldier’ or “merciful”. It is either the English version of the Germanic name Milo or derived from the Latin term “miles”.
Symbolism of the name Miles:
Miles means “soldier” and brings to mind the image of a warrior that will defend his people. “Miles” would refer specifically to Roman legionnaires who were the highly trained infantrymen of the Roman Empire.
Style of the name Miles:
Gender of the name Miles:
Miles is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Miles:
Number of syllables in the name Miles:
Emotion evoked from the name Miles:
Miles evokes feelings of compassion and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Miles:
Nicknames for the name Miles:
Popularity of the name Miles:
According to the Social Security Administration, Miles has been a popular boy’s name since 1900. It has been in the top 100 boy’s names since 2018.
Related names for the name Miles:
Great middle names for the name Miles and their meanings:
- Davis (beloved)
- Dawson (son of David)
- Colt (young horse)
- Deacon (messenger, servant, church official)
- Brooks (of the brook)
- Rhett (advice)
- Sawyer (woodcutter)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Felix (happy, fortunate)
- James (supplanter)
- Benjamin (son of the right hand)
- Elijah (Yahweh is God)
- Lucas (man from Lucania)
Famous people with the name Miles:
- Miles Dewey Davis III (American jazz musician)
- Miles Kane (English musician)
- Miles McMillan (American model, actor, and painter)
- Miles Jupp (English comedian and actor)
- Miles Austin (American football player)
Miles in popular culture:
- Miles O'Brien (television, “Star Trek”)
- Miles aka “Baby” (film, “Baby Driver”)
- Miles Edgeworth (video games, “Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney”)
- Miles Tuck (film, “Tuck Everlasting”)
- Miles Morales (Spiderman franchise)