Deacon is an English boy’s name that means “servant, messenger”. While Deacon is a modern given name it has been an English occupational surname for centuries, referring to a clergyman in the Catholic church.
Meaning of the name Deacon:
English: messenger, servant
Origin of the name Deacon:
Deacon is a modern English boy’s name that means “messenger, servant”. The name comes from the English surname as well as the Catholic clerical occupation and derives from the Greek term “diakonos” meaning “servant”.
Symbolism of the name Deacon:
A deacon is a clergyman that is responsible for tending to the altar and the church grounds, both symbols of faith and religion.
Style of the name Deacon:
Gender of the name Deacon:
Deacon is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Deacon:
Number of syllables in the name Deacon:
Emotion evoked from the name Deacon:
Deacon evokes feelings of responsibility and faith.
Alternative spellings for the name Deacon:
Deakon, Deecon, Deacan, Decan
Nicknames for the name Deacon:
Popularity of the name Deacon:
According to the Social Security Administration, Deacon is a recently popular baby boy’s name that first appeared in the top 1000 names in 2004. Deacon peaked at #420 in 2014 and has declined in popularity since.
Related names for the name Deacon:
Great middle names for the name Deacon and their meanings:
- James (supplanter)
- Thomas (twin)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Rhys (ardor)
- Graham (gravelly homestead)
- Parker (park keeper)
- Blake (fair-haired, dark)
- Emerson (son of Emery)
Famous people with the name Deacon:
- James “Deacon” White (American baseball player)
- Deacon Moore (American R&B musician)
- Deacon Tehanakore Manu (New Zealand rugby player)
- Carroll “Deacon” Jones (American baseball pitcher)
Deacon in popular culture:
- Deacon Claybourne (television, “Nashville”)
- Deacon Slemp (film, “A Cool Million”)
- Deacon Frost (Marvel Comics)
- Deacon (video game, “Fallout 4”)
- Deacon (film, “What We Do in the Shadows”)