Declan is a traditional Irish baby name meaning “full of goodness” or “may of prayer”. The most famous bearer of the name is a 5th century saint credited with performing many miracles even after his death.
Meaning of the name Declan:
Irish: man of prayer, full of goodness
Origin of the name Declan:
Declan is an Irish baby name that had been in use as far back as the 5th century. It is the Anglicized version of the names Deaglán or Déaglán.
Symbolism of the name Declan:
The name Declan is associated with the grain rye. Rye is a symbol of endurance even under duress.
Style of the name Declan:
Gender of the name Declan:
Declan is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Declan:
Number of syllables in the name Declan:
Emotion evoked from the name Declan:
Declan evokes feelings of intelligence and level headedness.
Alternative spellings for the name Declan:
Deaclan, Deklan, Declen
Nicknames for the name Declan:
Popularity of the name Declan:
According to the Social Security Administration, Declan first became popular in the US in 1998 and steadily grew in popularity until it peaked at #95 in 2019.
Related names for the name Declan:
Great middle names for the name Declan and their meanings:
- Samual (God has heard)
- Shay (esteemed, majestic)
- Darragh (fruitful)
- Fionn (fair, white)
- Oliver (elf army)
- Rory (red king)
- Jaxon (God is gracious)
- Parker (keeper of the park)
- Padrick (nobleman)
- Kit (bearing Christ)
- Micah (who is like God?)
Famous people with the name Declan:
- Saint Declán of Ardmore (Irish 5th century saint)
- Declan Costello (Attorney General of Ireland)
- Declan Buckley (Irish television personalit)
- Declan Curry (Irish journalist at BBC News)
- Declan Darcy (Gaelic footballer)
Declans in popular culture:
- Declan Desmond (television, “The Simpsons”)
- Declan Gage (television, “Law and Order: Criminal Intent”)
- Declan Rand (television, “Psych”)
- Declan Dale (film, “Exposed”)
- Declan Burke (television, “Family Affairs”)