A true classic, Thomas has been one of the top 100 baby boy names in the United States for well over a century. It's the name of a president, an apostle, and several Catholic saints. It's the name of several popular cartoon characters and many beloved people throughout history. Chances are you know someone named Thomas or someone who goes by one of its beloved nicknames, like Tom or Tommy.
Meaning of the name Thomas:
Origin of the name Thomas:
Thomas is the Greek and English derivative of the Aaramic name “Ta’oma’,” which means “twin.” In the Bible, Jesus felt he had too many apostles named Judas, so he renamed one Thomas so that he could tell them apart.
Symbolism of the name Thomas:
The baby name Thomas was the name of one of Jesus's apostles and has been the name of many saints. For this reason, the name is symbolic to people of the Catholic and Protestant faiths.
Style of the name Thomas:
Gender of the name Thomas:
Thomas is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Thomas:
Number of syllables in the name Thomas:
Emotion evoked from the name Thomas:
The name Thomas evokes the image of someone who is a leader. He has built strong ties to his friends and his community.
Alternative spellings for the name Thomas:
Nicknames for the name Thomas:
Popularity of the name Thomas:
Since 1900, the name Thomas has ranked among the top 100 baby boy names in the United States, according to the Social Security Administration. While it was more popular during the 20th century, it still makes the top 100 in 2020, coming in at number 45.
Related names for the name Thomas:
Great middle names for Thomas and their meanings:
- Michael (who is like God)
- Alexander (defender of man)
- Steven (crown, honor)
- William (strong-willed warrior)(
- James (one who follows)
- Andrew (strong and manly)
- Jeffrey (pledge of peace)
Famous people with the name Thomas:
- Thomas Jefferson (third president of the United States)
- Thomas Sowell (economist)
- Thomas Hardy (writer)
- Thomas Edison (inventor)
- Thomas “Tom” Selleck (actor)
- Thomas “Tom” Brady (football player)
- Thomas Aquinas (religious philosopher)
- Thomas Felton (actor)
Thomases in popular culture:
- ThomasTank Engine (character in the kids books and cartoon “The Railway Series”)
- Thomas Barrow (character on the TV show “Downton Abbey”)
- Thomas “Tommy” Pickles (character in the cartoon “Rugrats”)
- Thomas Paris (character on the TV show “Star Trek: Voyager”)
- Thomas (main character in the book and movie “The Maze Runner”)
- ThomasTom Cat (character in the cartoon series “Tom and Jerry”)