Jeffrey is an English boy’s name meaning “pledge of peace”. Jeffrey was a medieval variant spelling of Geoffrey but the J spelling became much more popular than the original in the US. Jeffrey had more than 40 years in the top 100 names but has slipped in popularity since the late 90’s.
Meaning of the name Jeffrey:
German: pledge of peace
Origin of the name Jeffrey:
Jeffrey is an English baby boy’s name of Germanic origin meaning “pledge of peace”. Jeffrey is a medieval variant spelling of Geoffrey.
Symbolism of the name Jeffrey:
Jeffrey means “pledge of peace”. Common symbols that mean peace include white poppies, olive branches, white doves, and folded paper cranes.
Style of the name Jeffrey:
Gender of the name Jeffrey:
Jeffrey is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Jeffrey:
Number of syllables in the name Jeffrey:
Emotion evoked from the name Jeffrey:
Jeffrey evokes feelings of refinement and intelligence.
Alternative spellings for the name Jeffrey:
Geoffrey, Jeffery, Jeffry, Geffrey
Nicknames for the name Jeffrey:
Popularity of the name Jeffrey:
According to the Social Security Administration, Jeffrey is a boy’s name that has been popular since 1937. Jeffrey had a long reign in the top 100 names, from 1945 to 1998.
Related names for the name Jeffrey:
Great middle names for the name Jeffrey and their meanings:
- Pierce (son of Piers)
- Reid (red haired)
- Graham (gravelly homestead)
- Bruce (from the brushwood thicket)
- Hector (holding fast)
- Eugene (noble)
- Leonard (brave lion)
- Albert (bright)
Famous people with the name Jeffrey:
- Jeffrey “Jeff” Gordon (American NASCAR driver)
- Jeffrey “Jeff” Buckley (American singer-songwriter)
- Jeffrey Dean Morgan (American actor)
- Jeffrey Eugenides (American novelist)
- Jeffrey Wright (American actor)
Jeffrey in popular culture:
- Jeffrey Spender (television, “The X-Files”)
- Jeffrey Tifton (literature, “The Penderwicks” series by Jeanne Birdsall)
- Jeffrey Goines (film, “12 Monkeys”)
- Jeffrey “Jeff” Boomhauer III (television, “King of the Hill”)
- Jeffrey Weitzman (film, “The Dream Team”)