Bruce is a charming baby name for boys. The name Bruce is also a classic surname that steadily changed into a given name as well. Keep reading to learn more about the name.
Meaning of the name Bruce:
French for “the willowlands”.
Origin of the name Bruce:
Bruce is a name with Norman origins. The Normans originally brought the name Bruce to Scotland to be used as a surname. From the Normans, the name Bruce stems from Brix, Manche, a place in Normandy.
Symbolism of the name Bruce:
Bruce has a strong connection to “Robert the Bruce”, the famous King of Scots known widely for being a renowned warrior. This gives the baby name Bruce a strong connection to leadership, strength, and devotion.
Style of the name Bruce:
Gender of the name Bruce:
The baby name Bruce is regularly seen as a name for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Bruce:
Number of syllables in the name Bruce:
Emotion evoked from the name Bruce:
Bruce is a classic name that feels timeless, powerful, and full of life.
Alternative spellings for the name Bruce:
There are no popular spelling variants of the baby name Bruce.
Nicknames for the name Bruce:
Popularity of the name Bruce:
Bruce has held onto popularity since the 1900s. Based on information from the Social Security Administration, the baby name Bruce reached its highest ranking on the top 1000 list of popular baby names in 1952 when it landed at #25.
Related names for the name Bruce:
Great middle names for Bruce and their meanings:
- Darcy (from Arcy)
- Crispin (curly-haired)
- Rupert (bright fame)
- Oscar (God spear; deer-lover; champion warrior)
- Hugo (mind, intellect)
- Leo (lion)
- Miles (soldier; merciful)
- Jude (praised)
Famous people with the name Bruce:
- Bruce Springsteen (American musician, singer-songwriter)
- Bruce Dickinson (English singer, writer, songwriter, brewer)
- Bruce Willis (American actor)
- Bruce McGill (American actor)
- Bruce Lee (Hong Kong and American martial artist, movie star)
- Bruce Gray (American-Canadian actor)
- Bruce Hector (American football player)
- Bruce Manson (American tennis player)
- Bruce Abel (American singer)
- Bruce Payne (English actor)
Bruces in movies/pop culture:
- Bruce Wayne (secret identity of DC’s Batman)
- Bruce Irvin (Muay Thai kickboxer character from the video game “Tekken”)
- Bruce Banner (alter ego of Marvel’s Hulk)
- Bruce (great white shark character in the film “Finding Nemo”)
- Brucemember of the Delightful Children From Down The Lane in “Codename: Kids Next Door”)
- Bruce Nolan (the main character in “Bruce Almighty”)
- Bruce Sato (from the carton “M.A.S.K.”)