While some parents search for boy names that sound more combative in nature, such as names that mean warrior, others are in search of boy names that mean peace. Here is a list of just such names — from various origins and varying meanings, but all pointing to a peaceful origin. Take a look and find the perfect peaceful name for your son.
RELATED: 25 Baby Names That Mean Peace
- AxelAxel has Scandinavian and Hebrew origins. It’s a form of the name Absalom. The name was the son of King David in the Bible. It means “my father is my peace”.
- Baris Baris comes from Turkish origin. The name is also a variant of the Jewish name Barish. Baris means “peace”.
- Freed Freed has Old English and German origins. The name was originally a surname. It means “free, peace”.
- Paciano Paciano comes from Spanish and Latin origins. The name originates from the Latin root word “pax”. The name means “peaceful”.
- StellanStellan has German and Scandinavian origins. The name sounds like it’d be the male version of Stella but it’s far from it. Stellan is a common name among Swedes. It means “calm, peaceful”.
- Benjiro Benjiro is a name of Japanese origin. It means “enjoy peace”. It’s pronounced as ‘ben-jee-roh’.
- Giotto Giotto has Italian origins. The name means “pledge of peace”. It became popular because of the Florentine painter and architect. Giotto was a key figure in the Italian Renaissance.
- Frederick Frederick has Germanic origins. Frederick is an English variant of the name Friedrich. It means “peaceful ruler”.
- JeffJeff has German and English origins. The name derives from an Old German name. It means “peaceful pledge, traveler, the district”. It’s a shortened form of the name Jeffery.
- Zalman Zalman has several origins. It stems from Hebrew, Yiddish, and Urdu. The name is largely known as a variant of the name Solomon. It means “peace”.
- Solomon Solomon is of Hebrew origin. The name comes from the Hebrew word “shalom”, meaning “peace”. Biblically, King Solomon is renowned for his wisdom.
- Absalom Absalom is of Hebrew origin. The name comes from the Bible. Absalom was the name of King David’s son who was very handsome and revered.
- JonahJonah is of Hebrew origin. The name derives from Yona, meaning dove. It’s also the name of the Abrahamic prophet named Jonah. He was swallowed by a whale and emerged several days later without injuries.
- Ingram Ingram has German and Scandinavian origins. The name comes from Ing, a mythological hero. Ingram means raven of peace”.
- NoahNoah is of Hebrew origin. The name comes from the Old Testament. Noah was famous in the Bible for creating and gathering animals for the ark. It means “rest, peace, prose”.
- Irenaeus Irenaeus has Spanish and Greek origins. Saint Irenaeus was a bishop of Lyons. It’s also the masculine variant of the name Irene.
- Kazuki Kazuki is of Japanese origin. The name derives from two words “kazu” (one, harmony, peace) and “ki” (hope, brightness). It means “hope of peace”.
- Mirko Mirko is of South Slavic origin. The name derives from “mir” (peace) and “ko”. When combined, the name means “the peaceful one, peaceful glory”.
- Placido Placido has Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese origins. The name is a common nickname for someone with a calm temperament. It was also the name of a 6th-century Italian saint who was a disciple of Saint Benedict.
- Rongo Rongo is of Maori origin. The name has significant meaning and was considered the creator of the kumara. It was also the name of a God and the word for “peace”.
- Sheehan Sheehan has Gaelic and Irish origins. The name derives from the surname O’Sheehan. It means “peaceful”.
- Shlomo Shlomo is of Hebrew origin. The name is a variant of the name Solomon, the King of Israel. It means “his peace”. The name is rarely used outside the Jewish community.
- Udoka Udoka is of Igbo-Nigerian origin. The name comes from the word Udo, meaning peace.
- Igor Igor is a strong, masculine name. It’s of Russian origin. It means “warrior of peace”.
- Heddwyn – Heddwyn has Welsh origins. The name means “fair peace”.
Tips for Raising a Peaceful Son
If you're naming your son after a name that means “peace”, chances are you want him to grow up into a kind and peaceful person. Raising a child that exhibits these qualities involves a gentle but firm hand to guide them through life. You can start showing your child how to be kind and peaceful from a young age.
An early step you can take is teaching them how to communicate properly. If they develop a problem with throwing temper tantrums, help them understand that they're not appropriate. Teach your son how to calmly communicate how they feel, and why it's important to do so.
As your child ages, teach them respect. Teaching by example is the best way to do this. Always respect everyone and everything around you, whether it's a person, animal, or someone's property. Teach your child how to respect others' boundaries. Of course, it's important to teach your child how to stand up for themselves, too. With help, your child can learn how to stand up for themselves in a safe, yet effective, way.
With your help, your child will grow into a well-mannered, respectful, and kind person who everyone will love to be around!
Peruse thousands of baby names on MomsWhoThink.com! And follow us on Pinterest for more parenting inspiration!
The image featured at the top of this post is ©SewCream/Shutterstock.com.