Pierce is an English baby name that means “stone”. Pierce is a more modern sounding and popular variant on the name Peter. With a namesake like actor Pierce Brosnan, Pierce has a suave and classy sound to it.
Meaning of the name Pierce:
Origin of the name Pierce:
Pierce is an English baby name that means “stone”. Pierce is the surname form of the name Piers which is derived from the name Peter.
Symbolism of the name Pierce:
Stone is a symbol of stability, security, reason, and dependability.
Style of the name Pierce:
Gender of the name Pierce:
Pierce is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Pierce:
Number of syllables in the name Pierce:
Emotion evoked from the name Pierce:
Pierce evokes feelings of dependability and strength.
Alternative spellings for the name Pierce:
Nicknames for the name Pierce:
Popularity of the name Pierce:
According to the Social Security Administration, Pierce is a boy’s baby name that was popular between 1900 and 1939 before returning to the top 1000 names in 1984. Pierces peaked in popularity at #462 in 2013.
Related names for the name Pierce:
Great middle names for the name Pierce and their meanings:
- Dean (church official)
- Landon (long hill)
- Rhett (advice)
- Lincoln (town by the pool)
- Wyatt (brave in war)
- Hudson (Hugh's son)
- Everett (brave as a wild boar)
- August (great, magnificent)
- Henry (estate ruler)
- Charles (free man)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Noah (rest, repose)
- Jacob (supplanter)
- Nathan (given)
Famous people with the name Pierce:
- Pierce Brosnan (Irish actor)
- Pierce Gagnon (American actor)
- Pierce Butler (American founding father)
- Pierce LePage (Canadian Olympic athlete)
- Pierce Rafferty (American film director)
Pierce in popular culture:
- Pierce Washington (video game, “Saints Row”)
- Piercinald “Pierce” Hawthorne (television, “Community”)
- Pierce Morehouse Patchett (television, “L.A. Confidential”)
- Pierce (television, “Alien Dawn”)
- Dr. Benjamin Franklin “Hawkeye” Pierce (television, “M*A*S*H”)
- Alexander Pierce (comics, Marvel series)