Lincoln is a baby name of English origin that has boomed in popularity since 2013. The name is usually associated with Abraham Lincoln, the 16th United States president, and lends a weight of history to the name.
Meaning of the name Lincoln:
English: town by the pool
Origin of the name Lincoln:
Lincoln is an Old English baby name meaning “town by the lake”. The name originated from the Roman town name of Lindum Colonia which eventually came to be called Lincoln.
Symbolism of the name Lincoln:
Lakes are still bodies of water often associated with emotional stability, clarity of mind, and a creative spirit. On the surface, a lake is still but there are depths underneath that can hold mysteries.
Style of the name Lincoln:
Gender of the name Lincoln:
Lincoln is a boy's name.
Pronunciation of the name Lincoln:
Number of syllables in the name Lincoln:
Emotion evoked from the name Lincoln:
Lincoln evokes feelings of pride and intelligence.
Alternative spellings for the name Lincoln:
Linken, Lyncoln, Linkcoln
Nicknames for the name Lincoln:
Popularity of the name Lincoln:
According to the Social Security Administration, Lincoln is a name that has been common since 1900 but had a huge spike in popularity in 2013 and has remained in the top 100 boys’ names since.
Related names for the name Lincoln:
Great middle names for the name Lincoln and their meanings:
- Emmett (universal)
- Ezra (help)
- Milo (merciful)
- Jasper (bringer of treasure)
- Oscar (champion warrior)
- Arlo (between two highlands)
- Atticus (from Attica)
Famous people with the name Lincoln:
- Abraham Lincoln (American president)
- Lincoln Wolfenstein (American physicist)
- Charles Lincoln “Link” Neal III (American, “Rhett and Link”)
- Lincoln Ellsworth (American explorer)
- Lincoln Kirstein (American founder of NYC Ballet)
Lincolns in popular culture:
- Lincoln Loud (television, “The Loud House”)
- Lincoln Burrows (television, “Prison Break”)
- Lincoln Hayes (television,”The Mod Squad”)
- Lincoln Lee (television, “Fringe”)
- Lincoln (television, “The 100”)