Jackson is a name that just feels cool and trendy, and many celebrities agree as their children have this name. Spike Lee and Carson Daly, just to name a couple of celebrities, have named their children Jackson. Though trendy today, the name did begin as a surname in historical England.
Meaning of the name Jackson:
English: son of Jack/John
Origin of the name Jackson:
The baby name Jackson began as a surname in historical England. It was reserved for families that began with a patriarch that was a son of someone named Jack or John. Now, however, it is on the top 20 list as one of the most popular first names for boys.
Symbolism of the name Jackson:
The baby name Jackson follows the trends of using a surname as a first name that is primarily seen across the southernmost states in America. It is similar to the names Harrison, Grayson, and even Parker.
Style of the name Jackson:
Gender of the name Jackson:
The baby name Jackson is reserved for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Jackson:
Number of syllables in the name Jackson:
Emotion evoked from the name Jackson:
The baby name Jackson feels youthful and a bit mischievous. It comes with a sense of modernity and coolness too.
Alternative spellings for the name Jackson:
Nicknames for the name Jackson:
Popularity of the name Jackson:
Jackson is higher on the Social Security Index than both John and Jack, from which the name Jackson comes. In the year 2020, it ranked at number 17 overall, but it has been on the top 20 list since 2013. Prior to this, it was on the top 50 list since 2004 and the top 100 list since 1998.
Related names for the name Jackson:
Great middle names for Jackson and their meanings:
- Andrew (strong, manly)
- Brett (from Brittany, from Britain)
- Hugh (soul, mind, intellect)
- Carter (driver of a cart)
- Bryce (speckled, freckled)
- Oliver (olive tree planter)
- Samuel (God has heard)
- Ryan (little king)
Famous people with the name Jackson:
- Jackson Pollock (abstract painter)
- Jackson Rathbone (actor, “Twilight”)
- Jackson Browne (singer, “Doctor My Eyes”)
- Jackson Kelley (actor, “Star Trek”)
- Jackson Odell (actor, “The Goldbergs”)
- Jackson Guthy (singer, “Giants”)
- Jackson Harries (actor, “Perfect Parents”)
Jacksons in popular culture:
- Jackson Teller (character on “Sons of Anarchy”)
- Jackson Stewart (character on “Hannah Montana”)
- Jackson Avery (character on “Grey's Anatomy”)
- Jackson Curtis (character on “2012”)
- Jackson Kenner (character on “The Originals”)
- Jackson Whittemore (character on “Teen Wolf”)