Andrew is the anglicized spelling of the Greek name Andreas. In various spellings, Andrew is a popular baby boy name throughout the world. It is also the name of two U.S. Presidents (Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson) as well as three kings of Hungary. Here are some other notable facts about the baby name Andrew.
Meaning of the Name Andrew:
Greek: Manly or masculine
Origin of the Name Andrew:
Andrew is the English version of the Greek name Andreas. Its origin derives from the ancient Greek term andreios (meaning “manly” or “masculine”). The respective origin of the term andreios also comes from the words aner and andros (each meaning “man”).
Most English speakers became familiar with the name Andrew upon the translation of the New Testament during the Middle Ages. Saint Andrew the Apostle was one of the 12 disciples of Jesus and the brother of Saint Peter. According to the tradition, he is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia, Greece, and Romania.
Symbolism of the Name Andrew:
Following the Crusades, the name Andrew gained popularity throughout the Christian world. According to legend, Saint Andrew died of crucifixion on the crux decussata or saltire (X-shaped cross). The iconography of the martyrdom of Andrew remains a popular symbol in Western religious culture. Many individuals simply refer to this symbol as “Saint Andrew’s cross.”
Style of the Name Andrew:
Gender of the name Andrew:
The gender of the name Andrew is traditionally male. However, there are also popular variations for the female gender such as Andrea and Andi. In addition, the word Andrew is also the ancestor of several English surnames, including Anderson, Andrews, and Andrewson.
Pronunciation of the Name Andrew:
Number of Syllables in the Name Andrew:
Emotion Evoked From the Name Andrew:
The name Andrew evokes feelings of strength and refinement.
Alternative Spellings for Andrew:
Andreu, Aindriú, Andreou
Nicknames for the Name Andrew:
Nicknames for the name Andrew include Andy and Drew. Popular nicknames for the feminine version of the name include Andi and Drea.
Popularity of the Name Andrew:
According to the Social Security Administration index, Andrew was the 52nd most popular baby boy name of 2020. The name ranked in the top 100 baby boy names in each year of the 20th century. It enjoyed peak popularity during the 1990s. The name ranked among the top 10 baby boy names for each year of that decade.
Related Names for Andrew:
Andreas, Andre, Andrea, Andrei, Andria, Andrej, Antero, André, Andrey, Andor, Andris
Great Middle Names for Andrew and their meanings:
- David (beloved)
- Ethan (solid, enduring, firm)
- Everett (brave, strong)
- Henry (king, ruler, power)
- Jace (healer)
- Leo (lion)
- Levi (united, joined in harmony)
- Liam (strong-willed warrior, protector)
- Lucas (bringer of light)
- Miles (soldier, gracious)
- Noah (rest, repose, comfort)
- Oliver (olive tree)
- Owen (well-born, young noble)
- Robert (bright fame)
- Wyatt (brave, strong, hardy)
Famous People with the Name Andrew:
- Andrew Carnegie (industrialist)
- Andrew Cuomo (New York governor)
- Andrew Jackson (American president)
- Andrew Joseph Cohen (talk show host)
- Andrew Lang (writer)
- Andrew Mellon (banker)
- Andrew Barron Murray (tennis player)
- Andrew Smith (zoologist)
- Andrew Lloyd Webber (composer)
- Prince Andrew, Duke of York (British royal and son of Queen Elizabeth II)
Andrews in Movies/Pop Culture:
- Andrew Beckett (character in the film Philadelphia)
- Andy Bernard (character in The Office)
- Andy Davis (character in Disney Pixar’s Toy Story)
- Andrei Nikolayevich Bolkonsky (central character in War and Peace)
- Andrew Wiggin (title character in the book and film versions of Ender’s Game)