Lucas sounds like a Biblical name when considering the book of Luke. What you may not know, however, is that this name was actually once a surname. Lucas, which is now on the top 10 list for boys, represented families from Lucania, Italy.
Meaning of the name Lucas:
Greek: from Lucania
Latin: man from Lucania
Origin of the name Lucas:
Lucas is the Latin form of the Greek baby name Loukas. The original Greek name and the Latin version each represent the name for someone who is from a territory called Lucania in Italy. The name was originally intended as a surname for families from these territories.
Symbolism of the name Lucas:
Though Lucas is a very popular first name choice among parents in modern times, it still retains its ancient meaning. It literally translates to someone who is from the providence of Lucania in ancient Italy.
Style of the name Lucas:
Gender of the name Lucas:
The baby name Lucas is for boys.
Pronunciation of the name Lucas:
Number of syllables in the name Lucas:
Emotion evoked from the name Lucas:
Lucas is a simple name. The simplicity gives it a bit of tender-heartedness and kindness.
Alternative spellings for the name Lucas:
Nicknames for the name Lucas:
Popularity of the name Lucas:
The baby name Lucas was on the top 100 list from 1980 to 1981. It rose back to the list in 1993 until 2007, but it then went on the top 50 list. As of the year 2018, the name ranks at number eight for three consecutive years, keeping it on the top 10 list for boys.
Related names for the name Lucas:
Great middle names for Lucas and their meanings:
- George (farmer)
- Adam (“son of the red earth”)
- Bailey (berry clearing, fortification)
- Gabriel (God is my strength)
- Grant (tall, big)
- Jordan (to descend, to flow)
- Mason (“one who works with stone”)
- Rhett (ardent, fiery)
- Samuel (God has heard)
Famous people with the name Lucas:
- Lucas Till (actor, “Monster Trucks”)
- Lucas Hedges (actor, “Boy Erased”)
- Lucas Grabeel (actor, “High School Musical”)
- Lucas Black (actor, “NCIS: New Orleans”)
- Lucas Triana (reality TV star from “Dance Moms Miami”)
- Lucas Puig (professional skateboarder)
Lucas's in popular culture:
- Lucas (character in “Pokemon”)
- Lucas Achillae (character in “Crow's Peak”)
- Lucas Bly (character in “Lucas”)
- Lucas Parker (character on “The Vampire Diaries”)
- Lucas Fitzgerald (character on “Neighbours”)
- Lucas Gottesman (character from “Pretty Little Liars”)